[ANN] Prosody 0.8.0RC1 available for testing

Matthew Wild

Jan 13, 2011, 12:41:01 AM1/13/11
to prosod...@googlegroups.com, proso...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

Finally, the announcement everyone has been waiting for... we're very
proud to present a release candidate for Prosody 0.8.0!

Prosody 0.8 contains a number of features that people have been eager
to see. In particular it is now easy to extend Prosody's
authentication and storage via plugins. This means Prosody can grow to
support a large range of databases and 3rd-party authentication
systems.

This is a non-exhaustive list of changes since 0.7:

* Support for pluggable storage backends, including:
* File-based (still the default)
* SQL, supporting SQLite, MySQL and PostgreSQL
* More (beta) in prosody-modules
* Support for pluggable authentication backends
* Plain (still the default)
* Hashed (passwords are not recoverable from storage)
* Cyrus SASL
* Anonymous (no credentials required)
* More (beta) in prosody-modules
* Ad-hoc commands are now included by default, to
allow managing Prosody via your XMPP client.
* The built-in MUC module gained many new features,
including password-protected and members-only/invite-only rooms.
* Components such as gateways and transports can securely
be prevented from being accessed by remote servers (disallow_s2s = true).
* BOSH: Support for preserving the client's real IP through
trusted proxies.

Packagers should take a look at our documentation for
packagers ( http://prosody.im/doc/packagers ) for more
notes about this release related to building and packaging.

If there are no major issues found in this RC then the
final 0.8.0 release will be made in the next couple of
weeks.

All feedback is welcome, especially from people testing SQL storage. We are
working on putting together a migrator to move data from one storage backend to
another, expect that to be announced here soon. For more info
see http://prosody.im/doc/storage

== Known issues ==
Since packaging and testing RC1 we have found a couple of small issues
that will be corrected in the final release:

* The 'authentication' option is not documented in the config file.
See http://prosody.im/doc/authentication for now.
* Tracebacks are shown if SQL storage is selected but LuaDBI is not
installed. See http://prosody.im/doc/depends#LuaDBI
* The Windows build does not include LuaDBI, it will be packaged separately.

== Download ==

Windows
  Installer: http://prosody.im/tmp/0.8.0rc1/ProsodySetup-0.8.0rc1.exe
  Zip: http://prosody.im/tmp/0.8.0rc1/Prosody-0.8.0rc1.zip

Debian/Ubuntu
  32-bit: http://prosody.im/tmp/0.8.0rc1/prosody_0.8.0-1~rc1_i386.deb
  64-bit: http://prosody.im/tmp/0.8.0rc1/prosody_0.8.0-1~rc1_amd64.deb

Source
  Tarball: http://prosody.im/tmp/0.8.0rc1/prosody-0.8.0rc1.tar.gz

Happy Jabbering!
The Prosody Team

Matthew Wild

Jan 13, 2011, 11:41:42 AM1/13/11
to proso...@googlegroups.com, prosod...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

On 13 January 2011 09:20, David Banes <dba...@cleartext.com> wrote:
> First an apology for cross posting.

No worries, I do it every time I make a release ;)

> Can anyone point me to any stats on the number of concurrent users Prosody can support, has supported in testing or can anyone using it in a production environment divulge their numbers?

How long is a piece of string? A more meaningful question would be:
"What number of concurrent users can Prosody support on hardware
configuration X?". Even then though, it depends on exactly what your
users are doing, how much data they are sending/receiving, how large
their rosters are, how many s2s connections there are, etc. You can
see how hard it gets to put a specific figure on these things.

That said, even if you asked a relatively specific question we (the
Prosody team) don't have any hard stats right now. We run ad-hoc
benchmarks ourselves when we make performance-related changes, however
these are not meant to be scientific or up for public scrutiny, so we
don't really publish them. It would be easy to create a demonstrable
benchmark in which Prosody out-performs all the other servers, but
that's not the way I want to play it.

At some point I'd really like to find the time to subject Prosody to
some controlled scientific benchmarks that we can make public, however
I simply don't have the time right now. This would also likely have to
include other servers tested on the same hardware, for meaninful
comparison.

Hope this helps explain things, even if I didn't really answer your
original question. Perhaps if someone is on this list with a large
number of users they can describe their setup and how it performs.

Regards,
Matthew

Simon Tennant (buddycloud)

Jan 13, 2011, 12:42:48 PM1/13/11
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

To me the bottleneck is usually the number of concurrent connections
rather than CPU.

Do you have any stats on how much memory each client connection uses
(just sitting around doing nothing much)?

How much more overhead added per TLS connection?

S.

--
Simon Tennant
mobile: +49 17 8545 0880

Tobias Markmann

Jan 14, 2011, 6:56:19 PM1/14/11
to prosod...@googlegroups.com
On 13.01.11 18:42, Simon Tennant (buddycloud) wrote:

> Do you have any stats on how much memory each client connection uses
> (just sitting around doing nothing much)?
>
> How much more overhead added per TLS connection?

Yeah, we do have those stats. Pretty fresh ones actually. :)

For Prosody 0.8rc1 it looks like this:

Real Memory per C2S connection (all without Stream Compression)

63.42 kB (w/o TLS)
585.01 kB (w/ TLS and w/ its compression, OpenSSL 0.9.8)
102.48 kB (w/ TLS and w/o its comp., custom LuaSec, OpenSSL 1.0.0)
82.7 kB (w/ TLS and w/o its comp., custom
LuaSec/LuaSocket(1 kB buffers), OpenSSL 1.0.0)

Here the link to a neat and shiny graph of the benchmark. It connected
up to 1k clients to Prosody.

http://ayena.de/files/prosody_memory-0.8rc1.png

Cheers,
Tobi