Unable to delete a view on voldemort 1.6.9

Chinmay Gupte

Jun 27, 2016, 5:27:35 PM6/27/16
to project-voldemort
Hi community,

I have been trying to delete a view on one of our voldemort clusters which was a recommended step before starting zone expansion. I am using the following command,

./voldemort-admin-tool.sh --delete-store test-view --url tcp://localhost:<admin-port>

to perform this operation. It has worked for me in the past on our test clusters but surprisingly, the view is not being removed from the stores.xml and there is no error thrown both on client as well as server side.

Please let me know what I am missing here and how can I get the view removed.

Thanks for your help.

Chinmay

Arunachalam

Jun 27, 2016, 5:43:32 PM6/27/16
to project-...@googlegroups.com
I believe you are running the Voldemort Server 1.6.9 ?

Individual store addition/update/delete has been introduced in 1.8.1. The AdminCommand will error out with a confusing GetMetadata log on the older server due to Protobuf enum not existence issue.

If you are using older server the only way is to update the entire stores.xml removing the values you don't need I believe.

Though 1.8.1 contains the individual store modification, we haven't tested it with view addition and deletion.

Thanks,
Arun.

Chinmay Gupte

Jun 27, 2016, 5:47:56 PM6/27/16
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Arun, So just setting the metadata to stores.xml with the view removed should work? Also, I have done it before and seen it work but just confirming whether it won’t have any impact on the data in other stores?

One final question is, will setting metadata via admin need a cluster bounce before zone expansion or we should be good without it?

Thanks,
Chinmay

Arunachalam

Jun 27, 2016, 5:53:31 PM6/27/16
to project-...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure about the old server and what it does. 1.6.9 is about 2-3 years old. There are 2 commands on old voldemort-admin-tool.sh one of them updates the metadata (stores.xml) other does the right thing.

With new servers delete store does not need a cluster bounce.

Thanks,
Arun.