Help getting started with Voldemort C++

Jeremy Cox

Jun 1, 2016, 4:05:48 PM6/1/16
to project-voldemort
Hello all,

I am interested in using Voldemort to write my own C++ program to use the database as a giant memory store for calculations.

I have voldemort working.  I can interact with the test database via the Java client.

I seemed to have a smooth install for clients/cpp -- following the directions in the readme.
(Actually, I had to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib to get the program to run)

I start this in a  separate window:
osboxes@osboxes:~/Desktop/voldemort$ bin/voldemort-server.sh config/single_node_cluster

The store seems to be named "test" from the JAVA client example:
osboxes@osboxes:~/Desktop/voldemort$ bin/voldemort-shell.sh test tcp://localhost:6666/

But the C++ client does not seem to work, which I believe "test" is hard coded as the storeName:
osboxes@osboxes:~/Desktop/voldemort/clients/cpp/utils$ voldemortShell tcp://localhost:6666
> put "k5" "v5"
Error: Unknown store 'test'.
> get "k1"
Error: Unknown store 'test'.

Any ideas on what is happening or how to fix it?   Thanks

Félix GV

Jun 1, 2016, 5:50:20 PM6/1/16
to project-voldemort
Hi Jeremy,

I'm not sure what the specific issue is here, but you need to be aware that the Voldemort client/server protocol is very hard to implement properly. It has taken many years to stabilize the Java client, which is in a pretty good shape nowadays, but that is not the case for the other clients. I would advise against building any serious project using the non-Java clients.

If it's for a toy project, or a school assignment or what not, then I'm sure some enjoyment could be had from tinkering with the cpp client. But it is not expected to work reliably under failure scenarios and so on.

-F