Zone expansion of busy voldemort cluster

Chinmay Gupte

Jun 23, 2016, 8:05:03 PM6/23/16
to project-voldemort
Hi community,

We are preparing for zone expansion of a pretty busy cluster and have been trying to figure out ways we can optimize it so that it has minimal application level impact. We have tried following things and would like to know whether we are missing anything,
  1. Reduced the max connections from client from 128 to 64
  2. Increased the max new size of JVM from 10G to 18G
  3. Reduced the parallelism from 12 to 6
Apart from above settings, we have been measuring the impact of stream write and read bytes per sec setting via various methods like profiling, but so far we have not seen any strong evidence which would cause us to reduce the current value of 20 MB.

Is there anything else we can optimize to reduce the impact on application? FWIW, we are using voldemort client version is 1.10.3 and voldemort server version is 1.6.9.

Thanks,
Chinmay

Arunachalam

Jun 23, 2016, 8:11:44 PM6/23/16
to project-...@googlegroups.com
We generally do the zone expansion on Weekend or when there is low traffic to the cluster. Voldemort Admin commands allocate/de-allocated lots of memory so your latency could be impacted when you are expanding the cluster. But other than that it should work fine.

Thanks,
Arun.

Chinmay Gupte

Jun 23, 2016, 8:20:29 PM6/23/16
to project-...@googlegroups.com
This cluster is always busy with heavy traffic even during the weekends, so sadly we do not have that option. :(

Are these any parameters which dictate the memory allocation/de-allocation done by admin commands?

Thanks,
Chinmay