Write failures, 0.80.2 on cluster using ec2 testing scripts.

Ben Hardy

Jun 14, 2010, 2:50:48 PM6/14/10
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I'm using Hadoop to write into Voldemort, everything running on EC2 but am seeing the following exception pop up:

voldemort.VoldemortException: 3 metadata refresh attempts failed.
at voldemort.client.DefaultStoreClient.put(DefaultStoreClient.java:214)
at voldemort.client.DefaultStoreClient.put(DefaultStoreClient.java:193)

I am using the contrib/ec2-testing scripts to create the instances and configure the cluster. The storage being used is memory-only. There are 10 nodes in the cluster.

My config is as follows. I am guessing that I am getting something wrong here.

server.properties:

voldemort.home=/root/voldemort
enable.bdb.engine=false
enable.memory.engine=true
enable.cache.engine=false
max.threads=1500

stores.xml:

<stores>
    <store>
        <name>user_joined</name>
        <replication-factor>3</replication-factor>
        <preferred-reads>2</preferred-reads>
        <required-reads>1</required-reads>
        <preferred-writes>3</preferred-writes>
        <required-writes>1</required-writes>
        <persistence>memory</persistence>
        <routing>client</routing>
        <key-serializer>
            <type>string</type>
            <schema-info>utf8</schema-info>
        </key-serializer>
        <value-serializer>
            <type>identity</type>
        </value-serializer>
    </store>
</stores>

I'm using the contrib/ec2-testing script for cluster.xml generation in the following way:
$VOLDY_EC2_BIN/voldemort-clustergenerator.sh \
--clustername "Voldemort_User_Data_Cache" \
--hostnames $VOLDEMORT_HOME/config/voldy-ec2-instances \
--partitions 15  >$VOLDEMORT_HOME/config/cluster.xml

Any clues would be appreciated. There's not much Googleable info about that exception and I didn't understand the source code well enough to figure out what the exception meant.

Thanks
Ben

Ben Hardy

Jun 15, 2010, 3:20:19 PM6/15/10
to project-voldemort
I have seen the error of my ways. This is course was a total newbie
configuration error. My node ids I had put in my server.properties on
each node did not correspond to the node ids in the cluster.xml.