Voldemort is taking ages to write from queue to voldemort data in clustered enviorment-Voldemort Performance issue

Dileep Shetty

Apr 16, 2015, 2:38:52 AM4/16/15
to project-...@googlegroups.com
We have a clustered voldemort and from one server our application is reading from Websphere JMS queue data and putting that to voldemort, This is taking too much time to write to voldemort when voldemort clustering is in place. If the voldemort clustering is not there then it would work normally and will not take much time. Why is this performance delay is happening? and how do i make voldemort writes data faster? Please advice.

Brendan Harris (a.k.a. stotch on irc.oftc.net)

Apr 16, 2015, 11:24:44 AM4/16/15
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dileep,

First of all, what do you mean by "voldemort clustering" versus not clustering? I don't understand the way you're using the "clustering" term, as though it is some kind of switchable configuration in voldemort.

Secondly, could you please attach your cluster.xml, stores.xml, server.properties, the Java command arguments and an overview of the server or VM specs (RAM, disk configuration and disk types, CPU, etc.) that you are running it on?

Usually voldemort will be very fast with writes right out of the box with the default configuration under most use cases.

Brendan

Arunachalam

Apr 16, 2015, 11:39:12 AM4/16/15
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Dileep,
     When reporting performance problems, we expect details on why you think it is a voldemort problem and some data to support it. If you need help on what to look for, we can give you direction.

With any open source software, Please be prepared to investigate the issue with the help from community.

First isolate the bottleneck to the Client or Server ( based on cpu, network, QPS) and so on. Then drill down and see why the botleneck arises, poor configuration of JVM or less connections to the server. Look at the logs of both the client and Server and see is there any repeated exceptions .

Thanks,
Arun.

Brendan Harris

Apr 17, 2015, 12:21:07 PM4/17/15
to project-...@googlegroups.com

And please be sure to shadow/obscure any sensitive information in your configs before publishing them here.