questions on multiple zone configuration with staging/production environment.

Wudong Liu

Jun 17, 2016, 11:39:17 AM6/17/16
to project-voldemort

Hi all:
We are building a voldemort store and would like to have some advices on multiple zone settings.

Currently we are testing with two nodes in one zone, which works great to our requirements.

However, going to production, we need to go through the staging / production cycle because the building of store takes quite a long time and we need to build from scratch each time as the data change too much from release to release. So here is the scenario we think to implement this requirement:

1. On staging, we build the store in one zone with two nodes, the two nodes will contains all the partitions. the staging servers are in one data centre.
2. We can then copy the staging store files to production servers, which reside in another data centre.

A few questions regarding this scenario are:
1. How can we configure the staging servers as the backup for production server, in case there is failure in reading from the production servers?
2. Can we safely disable the staging servers (for new build), in which only the production server will serve the request; and later when building finish, enable the staging servers and in the same time disable the production servers for copy of data? and afterward, bring the production servers back online.

From the examples that I can see the multiple zone config usually contains distinct partitions. I'm wondering if it is possible to implement this scenario with voldemort, at all. Also we would like to know, are there any other ways to accomplish this?

Regards,
Warren