Autoscalling with EC2 or Openstack

Dário Nascimento

Jun 13, 2014, 6:18:10 PM6/13/14
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I want to use voldemort as a autoscalable database, i.e., the database would rebalance automatically when a new node is created or destroyed on EC2 or Openstack.
I read about rebalance... So basically, I need to add a new node to the cluster and invoke rebalance automatically. Does anyone did it before?

Arunachalam

Jun 19, 2014, 11:20:02 AM6/19/14
to project-...@googlegroups.com
We haven't attempted the auto rebalance task before. But there is no harm in trying it out. If you scale up/down the EC2 instances frequently you might change the configuration even before the rebalance task is completed. Also note that Rebalance task currently is written with the assumption that you will attempt it once 6 months and the online performance ( latency/throughput) impact is kept to minimal ( only one donor-stealer will be active at any given point or something like that).

Thanks,
Arun.