Is it possible to selectively start services?

13 wyświetleń

Amit Pal

nieprzeczytany,
10 paź 2014, 21:06:1710.10.2014
do project-...@googlegroups.com
I want to use voldemart as in-memory storage only. Since no persistence is required, I don't want other non-related services to keep running( I guess voldemart server starts 8 services).
Is it possible to selectively start services or may be build a jar having  trim down version?

Thanks,
Amit

Brendan Harris (a.k.a. stotch on irc.oftc.net)

nieprzeczytany,
10 paź 2014, 21:09:5810.10.2014
do project-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amit,

On Friday, October 10, 2014 6:06:17 PM UTC-7, Amit Pal wrote:
I want to use voldemart as in-memory storage only. Since no persistence is required, I don't want other non-related services to keep running( I guess voldemart server starts 8 services).
Is it possible to selectively start services or may be build a jar having  trim down version?

Voldemort only starts one service by default, which is the voldemort server. Can you explain a little more about what you mean by it starting 8 services?

Brendan

Amit Pal

nieprzeczytany,
10 paź 2014, 21:37:4610.10.2014
do project-...@googlegroups.com
I just saw in the console log...it says starting 8 services.

Thanks,
Amit Pal

Brendan Harris (a.k.a. stotch on irc.oftc.net)

nieprzeczytany,
10 paź 2014, 22:50:1910.10.2014
On Friday, October 10, 2014 6:37:46 PM UTC-7, Amit Pal wrote:
I just saw in the console log...it says starting 8 services.

You mean the "Starting n services"? That is controlled by what storage engine and features you enable. So, if you only want to run the in-memory store, set storage.config to only have "voldemort.store.memory.InMemoryStorageConfiguration" and nothing else. Then you can also do things like disable http and jmx (http.enable, jmx.enable). You'll want to leave the admin server, socket server and nio enabled, though. Other than that, the remaining services should be off by default (rest, gossip, etc) or required. You can look at server/VoldemortServer.java around line 200 to see what the services are.

Brendan

Vinoth C

nieprzeczytany,
11 paź 2014, 12:06:0811.10.2014
do project-...@googlegroups.com
Also.. Having multiple storage engines enabled does not spin up additional services.. Just one more instance of StorageEngine.

On Oct 10, 2014, at 6:09 PM, Brendan Harris (a.k.a. stotch on irc.oftc.net) <dre...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Amit,

On Friday, October 10, 2014 6:06:17 PM UTC-7, Amit Pal wrote:
I want to use voldemart as in-memory storage only. Since no persistence is required, I don't want other non-related services to keep running( I guess voldemart server starts 8 services).
Is it possible to selectively start services or may be build a jar having  trim down version?

Voldemort only starts one service by default, which is the voldemort server. Can you explain a little more about what you mean by it starting 8 services?

Brendan

Amit Pal

nieprzeczytany,
11 paź 2014, 23:26:2211.10.2014
do project-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brendan for your help.

Is this per node configuration? Where can I find more information about configuring in-memory cluster with replication and data partitioning.

Thanks,
Amit

Amit Pal

nieprzeczytany,
13 paź 2014, 20:01:5913.10.2014
do project-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

I found the following comment inside InMemoryStorageEngine.java.  It is recommended not not use it  other than testing?

/**
* A simple non-persistent, in-memory store. Useful for unit testing.
*
* TODO Rewrite this class using striped locks for more granular locking.
*
*/

Brendan Harris (a.k.a. stotch on irc.oftc.net)

nieprzeczytany,
13 paź 2014, 22:59:2913.10.2014

On Monday, October 13, 2014 5:01:59 PM UTC-7, Amit Pal wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I found the following comment inside InMemoryStorageEngine.java.  It is recommended not not use it  other than testing?

We've never focused on making it production reliable for general queries, as there is already memcached for that which is a very mature non-persistent in-memory key/value store (and it is the industry standard.) That's not to say you cannot do that with InMemoryStorageEngine, but you should do a lot of testing with it first to ensure that it can reliably handle your production workload.

The production ready storage engines are BdbStorageEngine and ReadOnlyStorageEngine. I would not recommend the InMemoryStorageEngine as a replacement for memcached. I'd recommend using the BdbStorageEngine as a strongly-persistent warm cache to replace memcached.

Brendan

Amit Pal

nieprzeczytany,
14 paź 2014, 01:16:0014.10.2014
do project-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brendan,

We are currently using memcached but it doesn't supports replication. We tried redis in single master and multi-slave configuration using sentinels but that requires quite a lot of configuration.
We were looking for an in-memory storage(for a short duration ~ 15 mins) with replication and sharding and voldemort looked quite promising and fit in terms of features.
Are there any particular tests you would recommend to run using ImMemoryStorage Engine before we try in our project?

Thanks,
Amit

Brendan Harris

nieprzeczytany,
15 paź 2014, 10:18:1915.10.2014
do project-...@googlegroups.com

I would recommend doing a production workload test with a few scenarios: One that is just peak throughput, one that is peak throughput with one node failing in the middle of it and then coming back online, and one that is peak throughput with one node responding significantly slower than the others. And maybe come up with a few more scenarios to test.

Brendan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "project-voldemort" group.
Odpowiedz wszystkim
Odpowiedz autorowi
Przekaż
Nowe wiadomości: 0