Re: [project-voldemort] We're hiring! Looking for a software engineer with operations experience

John Cohen

Nov 22, 2013, 10:30:52 AM11/22/13
to project-...@googlegroups.com
My name is John Cohen, I work for Amazon now but back in 2009-2012 I was working for Nokia developing VShards on top of Voldemort.  I did contribute to the Voldemort project in the Rebalancing area (I also submitted 2 patents about the work that I did with the US patent office).

I live in Boston, if there is a chance to work form here please let me know,

thanks,
--john

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Brendan Harris (a.k.a. stotch on irc.oftc.net) <dre...@gmail.com> wrote:
Software Engineer - Voldemort
Description: Voldemort is LinkedIn's NoSQL k/v store, used heavily across hundreds of high profile web services in LinkedIn, powering a large portion of the online platform. As the usage of Voldemort continues to grow at LinkedIn, we are looking for engineers with a strong systems and infrastructure background, to help with scaling the product. The candidate will also be contributing bug fixes to the Voldemort open source project, as needed.
This position is located in Mountain View, CA and will be a part of the Voldemort development team.
Responsibilities:
  • Be the primary point-of-contact to drive the user (other engineering teams at LinkedIn) engagement
  • On call during business hours and address any day-to-day production issues/questions
  • Be able to work with other teams to help them troubleshoot prod and pre-prod issues
  • Work with users, to streamline the onboarding of new use cases
  • Troubleshoot Voldemort problems both at system and code level
  • Build tools necessary to scale Voldemort and simplify operations
  • Make maintenance bug fixes as needed to fix user problems
  • Work with other Voldemort engineers on features and enhancements when needed
  • Work with Voldemort open source community: evaluate and process pull requests, publish and publicize new open source releases, Q&A in the open source forum, etc
Requirements:
  • Interest in data operations is key, preferably operating and developing distributed systems at scale
  • B.S in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
  • Basic java coding skills and be able understand code quickly
  • Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot/debug complex systems
  • Proficient in Linux and basic tools therein
  • Ability to juggle multiple issues at once in a fast-paced environment
  • Excellent team player, with good communication skills
  • Experience with Hadoop a big plus
  • Experience with JVM internals and GC tuning a big plus
  • Hands on experience with other NoSQL systems a plus
  • Experience working in production environments a plus
To follow up on this job post, please e-mail Lei Gao: lgao at linkedin.com

Lei Gao

Dec 5, 2013, 9:54:12 PM12/5/13
to project-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Thank you for being interested in this position. Because one of the important responsibilities of this position is to engage LinkedIn's app engineers and help them design their app to correctly use Voldemort, being remote will make it very difficult. I am happy to discuss it with you in more details if you are willing to relocate to the bay area :)

Thanks,
Lei