How to fix cryptic hypervisor name?

Peter Kelm

Nov 24, 2013, 4:55:53 PM11/24/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
I have an issue with the current FiFo version on SmartOS (smartos-20131102T215831Z): On my install the hypervisor "node name" shows a cryptic string (e.g. "a6dc444d-ba97-4gea-85eb-5eaf33d70118") instead to the hostname of the global zone ("myname"). Both hostname and /etc/nodename are set correctly (via a custom smf). What am I doing wrong? Or is this expected behavior?

Phillip Neumann

Nov 24, 2013, 8:09:16 PM11/24/13
to projec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I did a clean install on friday and, by default, fifo named my servers as its hostnames.

The server changes /etc/nodename and /etc/hosts, and execute `hostname` accordingly on each boot.

If you happend to run dev version and running the latest version, there is now a input field that let you change the server name right from the UI.

Bye!!

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Peter Kelm <in...@kelmmoyles.com> wrote:
I have an issue with the current FiFo version on SmartOS (smartos-20131102T215831Z): On my install the hypervisor "node name" shows a cryptic string (e.g. "a6dc444d-ba97-4gea-85eb-5eaf33d70118") instead to the hostname of the global zone ("myname"). Both hostname and /etc/nodename are set correctly (via a custom smf). What am I doing wrong? Or is this expected behavior?

__________________
pneu...@gmail.com
@killfil

Steven McDowall

Feb 4, 2014, 10:52:36 AM2/4/14
to projec...@googlegroups.com

I'm having the same issue -- I am wondering if the chunter service is starting up before the custom smf to set the hostname has completed .. so it's still grabbing the "old" hostname script ... ?? The only dependency is on the loopback/network/fs and epmd .. hmmm

Steven McDowall

Feb 4, 2014, 11:51:29 AM2/4/14
to projec...@googlegroups.com

Ok -- this is now officially driving me crazy.  Where / how does FIFO determine the hostname to display?  I've made sure to made empd dependent on the hostname setting config script but still no difference at all.

Is it cached somewhere?  I see in the chunter logs that is states quite proudly now "application starting chunter@ws-head"  which is the hostname I gave it.. but the Web UI still has the UUID sort of thing..

TIA!

Heinz Nikolaus Gies

Feb 4, 2014, 12:15:50 PM2/4/14
to projec...@googlegroups.com
How it works is like this:

start Counter.
if /opt/chunter/etc/host_id
  exit registration process
else
  generate a UUID for the hoste, register the host with the hostname (at that point in time) and the UUID

This process allows you to change the hostnames to whatever you want, this can be done in the Jingles UI under Servers -> (server to change). There is a field that you can edit in the Detail section.

---
Cheers,
Heinz Nikolaus Gies

signature.asc