Gentoo ebuilds

pasis

Oct 16, 2012, 2:59:34 PM10/16/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've pushed profanity and libstrophe ebuilds to "stuff" overlay. Now Gentoo users can install profanity in the following way:
1. layman -a stuff
2. echo "=net-im/profanity-9999 **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
3. echo "=dev-libs/libstrophe-9999 **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
4. emerge =profanity-9999

These commands will build profanity from git repository. Also I'm planning to add ebuilds for particular releases.
James, you may add these lines to install section of your wiki.

With best regards,
Dmitry Podgorny

Boothj5

Oct 16, 2012, 6:34:08 PM10/16/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant, thanks Dmitry.

I've added this to the wiki instructions.

Boothj5

Oct 16, 2012, 6:58:17 PM10/16/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
I've also added a source tarball for the 0.1.8 release on the downloads page at github, I'll make sure there's one with each release.

I think it'll be worth a 0.1.9 release in the next week or so as quite a few changes/bug fixes have gone in.

Cheers,

James.

pasis

Oct 17, 2012, 4:22:47 AM10/17/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
I have added ebuild for version 0.1.8. The steps described above is true for building from git repo. When user wants to install particular version instead of live build the only following steps are needed:
1. layman -a stuff  or  layman -s stuff  (add new overlay or update existing one respectively)
2. emerge profanity
or user can specify particular version:
2. emerge =profanity-0.1.8

Boothj5

Oct 17, 2012, 1:43:12 PM10/17/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
I've updated the wiki, thanks.

pasis

Oct 24, 2012, 6:16:22 PM10/24/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
ebuild for profanity-0.1.9 is in stuff overlay now.
Use flag 'xml' has been introduced for profanity-0.1.9 and live builds. This flags means whether program will be linked with libxml2.

How to install with libxml2 support (profanity will be linked with libxml2, not expat):
  USE="xml" emerge =profanity-0.1.9
How to install with expat support (profanity will be linked with expat, not libxml2):
  USE="-xml" emerge =profanity-0.1.9

Note that profanity depends on libstrophe with xml flag set to the same value.

Boothj5

Oct 24, 2012, 6:29:31 PM10/24/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
Github wiki is updated, cheers.

pasis

Oct 25, 2012, 4:11:11 AM10/25/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
I guess gentoo installation guide should be simplified. I'd suggest something like this:

Profanity is available from 'stuff' overlay. Follow the next steps to intall package:

1. Adding 'stuff' overlay

  layman -a stuff
or
  layman -s stuff
to add new overlay or update an existing respectively

2. Installing package
  emerge profanity

Profanity can be linked with either libxml2 or expat library. You may want to set or unset use flag 'xml'. This flag means whether profanity will be linked with libxml2.

To install last develepment version you need to add net-im/profanity to package.keywords file:
  echo "=net-im/profanity-9999 **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
  emerge =profanity-9999

Boothj5

Oct 25, 2012, 8:07:28 AM10/25/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I've updated the guide.

pasis

Mar 21, 2016, 1:56:33 PM3/21/16
to profanity development
I've found new gentoo overlay created for Profanity: https://github.com/maxrp/profanity-overlay.

P.S. List of other overlays with Profanity: http://gpo.zugaina.org/net-im/profanity.

Boothj5

Mar 21, 2016, 6:21:07 PM3/21/16
to profanity development
Thanks for the links, I'll add them to the website.