does Profanity have SCRAM-SHA-1 support?

que...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2012, 1:48:31 PM11/12/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com
hi, I love this client! It lacks a lot of features but the interface/management makes it my favorite xmpp client, so my thanks to the devs.

I was wondering if Profanity supports client-side SCRAM authentication?

pasis

Nov 12, 2012, 2:16:15 PM11/12/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com, que...@gmail.com
Hi,
profanity uses xmpp library libstrophe that doesn't support SCRAM-SHA-1 at the moment. The only supported are
  • PLAIN
  • DIGEST-MD5
  • ANONYMOUS
But it can be implemented.

Boothj5

Nov 12, 2012, 2:26:56 PM11/12/12
to profan...@googlegroups.com, que...@gmail.com
Yep, as Dmitry says, we are currently dependent on libstrophe which doesn't support SCRAM-SHA-1.  However, we may move to his fork called libcouplet as he is actively maintaining it and we could implement it there.

Glad you like the general interface and approach, there are a lot of features going into the next release 0.1.10 including:

* Subscription management
* Chat states
* Multi-user chat

Which should hopefully be out in a few weeks.

pasis

Jun 2, 2013, 4:25:26 PM6/2/13
to profan...@googlegroups.com, que...@gmail.com
Hi there,
I've wrote implementation of SCRAM-SHA-1 for libcouplet. I will commit the code after some refactoring. Also I will try to find some free time to backport this implementation to libstrophe.

pasis

Jun 3, 2013, 4:09:01 PM6/3/13
to profan...@googlegroups.com, que...@gmail.com
I've pushed implementation to master branch and will prepare patches for libstrophe in several days

Boothj5

Jun 3, 2013, 6:57:35 PM6/3/13
to profan...@googlegroups.com, que...@gmail.com
Good work, I think it will be well received in the libstrophe community too.

pasis

Jun 4, 2013, 4:34:51 PM6/4/13
to profan...@googlegroups.com, que...@gmail.com
Patch for libstrophe is in attach. Full sources you can fetch from libstrophe-scram-sha1 branch at https://github.com/pasis/libcouplet/tree/libstrophe-scram-sha1. With this patch SCRAM-SHA-1 is used by default if it's supported.
libstrophe-scram-sha-1-01.patch.gz

Boothj5

Aug 31, 2014, 11:38:30 AM8/31/14
to profan...@googlegroups.com, que...@gmail.com
We have finally merged this pull request, so profanity now supports SCRAM-SHA-1 authentication when built against the latest version of libstrophe.

Thanks Dmitry.