Segfault

johannes amorosa

Jul 8, 2014, 4:48:49 AM7/8/14
to profan...@googlegroups.com
I had my first segfault with profanity. Is there a way to send in the core dump or logfiles for debugging.

uname -a
Linux cell-ds-20 3.2.0-64-generic #97-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 4 22:04:21 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

profanity -v
Profanity, version 0.5.0dev.master.f44cf86

Boothj5

Jul 8, 2014, 8:09:16 AM7/8/14
to profan...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

There are a few things you can do:

To get more info in the logs at ~/.local/share/profanity/logs/profanity.log:
  • Run with debug enabled "profanity -l DEBUG"

To get a coredump:
  • First build profanity again with debug enabled (gives more info in coredumps)
    • ./configure-debug
    • make clean
    • make
    • sudo make install (if you want to run from anywhere)
  • Ensure your terminal session allows coredumps:
    • ulimit -c unlimited
  • And then run profanity
  • After a segfault, you should find a file called 'core' in the directory you ran profanity from
  • To view the coredump and the backtrace, you'll need gdb
    • sudo apt-get install gdb
  • To open the coredump in the directory, pass the executable and the coredump to gdb
    • gdb ./profanity core
  • And to view the backtrace
    • bt
If you don't have time for all of that, the logs and steps to recreate would be helpful.

Thanks,

James.