Connecting To A Tor Hidden Service

Austin Smith

Oct 21, 2014, 10:48:39 PM10/21/14
to profan...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to configure profanity to connect to riseup.net's tor hidden service.  I set the server to the appropriate .onion address, but the log in failed.  When I re-set the server to riseup.net, the log in failed again.

When I initially setup profanity with my riseup account, it connected successfully.  The command:

/account show [account]

initially rendered the following:

Account [account]@riseup.net:
enabled           : TRUE
22:21:38 - jid               : [account]@riseup.net
22:21:38 - resource          : profanity
22:21:38 - muc service       : conference.riseup.com
22:21:38 - muc nick          : [account]
22:21:38 - Last presence     : online
22:21:38 - Login presence    : online
22:21:38 - Priority          : chat:0, online:0, away:0, xa:0, dnd:0

There was no property listed for "server."

I attempted to configure profanity to connect to riseup's xmpp tor hidden service (https://help.riseup.net/en/tor) at (4cjw6cwpeaeppfqz.onion) by using the command:

/account set [account] server 4cjw6cwpeaeppfqz.onion

When I attempted to log into my account, the log in failed.

I then tried to revert to what I presumed was my previous setting by entering:

/account set [account] server riseup.net

However, the log in still failed.

The command:

/account show [account]

Rendered:

Account [account]@riseup.net:
22:28:47 - enabled           : TRUE
22:28:47 - jid               : [account]@riseup.net
22:28:47 - resource          : profanity
22:28:47 - server            : riseup.net
22:28:47 - muc service       : conference.riseup.net
22:28:47 - muc nick          : [account]
22:28:47 - Last presence     : online
22:28:47 - Login presence    : online

Any thoughts on how I should fix my configuration so that I can connect normally, and/or on how I should configure profanity to connect to a tor hidden service?

Thanks

Boothj5

Oct 23, 2014, 5:54:16 PM10/23/14
to profan...@googlegroups.com
One thing I notice is that after setting the server back to riseup.net, you still have the additional server property, whereas when you first successfully connected this property was not set (it defaults to the domainpart of your JID). There should be a command:

/account clear [account] server

However, I notice clear does not accept server as an argument, which I will fix: https://github.com/boothj5/profanity/issues/440

Until this is fixed, you can remove manually in the accounts file: http://www.profanity.im/files.html

There will be a section for your account, with a server property, which you can just remove. I'm not sure if this would actually fix your problem but the settings will at least be consistent with when it worked the first time.

As for supporting TOR, I'm not very familiar with it, although I believe the .onion domain is not a true DNS, and profanity does not know to connect to the TOR network to resolve these addresses.  So I believe this is not currently possible, unless there are existing proxy solutions of some kind.

If you still cannot connect after removing the server property, the debug logs might be useful (removing anything sensitive): http://www.profanity.im/issues.html#proflogs