my profanity won't reconnect after machine sleep

minik Do

Dec 28, 2015, 2:56:12 PM12/28/15
to profanity development
Hi,

I use Profanity 0.4.4 on a Debian machine and it's awesome ;-) Althought when my machine wakes up from sleep or the wifi connection has been reestablished, Profanity won't reconnect while still showing "Online" status.

Thanks for your help,

Dominik

Boothj5

Dec 28, 2015, 7:32:57 PM12/28/15
to profanity development
Sounds similar to the following issue: https://github.com/boothj5/profanity/issues/525

Profanity is unaware of the connection loss.  The /autoping setting may help, it is disabled by default in 0.4.4 (set to 60 seconds in later versions). With autoping enabled there's a better chance that profanity will find the broken connection when your machine wakes up, and assuming /reconnect is also enabled (30 seconds by default in 0.4.4) it should then try to reconnect.

Testing locally, by cutting out my wireless connection, profanity eventually notices and reconnects successfully when back online.

However I'm aware this test and the above issue are slightly different to the machine sleeping, so I'm not 100% sure it'll solve your problem, I'd be interested to hear.

Stream Management would also come in useful here, used by many mobile clients for connection loss, but not yet implemented in profanity.

minik Do

Dec 29, 2015, 7:51:10 AM12/29/15
to profanity development
Hi. Thank you for your answer ;-)

I've been testing it today and unfortunately it's not working. I've set /autoping 5, /autoconnect and /reconnect 10.
After waking my machine up Profanity shows Online status, but it's not connected in fact. My buddies see me as Offline.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks,
D.

minik Do

Dec 29, 2015, 7:54:09 AM12/29/15
to profanity development
... actually it did reconnected, but after exactly 7 minutes.

D.

Boothj5

Dec 29, 2015, 1:44:48 PM12/29/15
to profanity development
Interesting.  I'll need to look a little deeper into what's going on.

I think one option is to allow a configurable timeout for the autoping, so if a response is not received after N seconds profanity assumes the connection is broken and tries to reconnect.  This would at least reduce the 7 minutes to a known configurable number.  I was going to add this for a related issue but the issue eventually got closed.

I'll keep this post updated when I get a chance to look into it.

Boothj5

Jan 1, 2016, 3:08:41 PM1/1/16
to profanity development
Added the timeout setting to master: https://github.com/boothj5/profanity/issues/700

If you want to test it, you'll need to build latest libmesode (or libstrophe) and profanity.

I've tested locally and profanity now disconnects (and displays a message in the console) when the timeout occurs.  With reconnect set, the connection is re-established once the wireless connection is back.

Dominik Szmek

Jan 2, 2016, 2:37:27 PM1/2/16
to profan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for fixing that issue. Unfortunately I won't be able to compile that
as I'm using Debian Stable version.