2nd CFP: Game-Benchmark for Evolutionary Algorithms (GECCO'18 workshop)

Vanessa Volz

Mar 5, 2018, 6:19:06 AM3/5/18
to Procedural Content Generation

**** We apologise if you have received multiple copies of this message ****

***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP *****

           GAME-BENCHMARK FOR EVOLUTIONARY ALGORITHMS

                 JULY 15-19, 2018, KYOTO, JAPAN

***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP ***** CFP *****

You submit your game-based optimisation problems, we compile them into

a publicly available benchmark and  analyse it. We then discuss results

and future work in Kyoto.

Game-Benchmark? WHY?

Games are a very interesting topic that motivates a lot of research.

Key features of games are controllability, safety and repeatability, but also

the ability to simulate properties of real-world problems such as measurement

noise, uncertainty and the existence of multiple objectives. They have

therefore been repeatedly suggested as testbeds for AI algorithms. However,

until now, there has not been any concerted effort to implement such a

benchmark.

The proposed workshop is intended to fill this gap by

(1) motivating and coordinating the development of game-based problems for

EAs and

(2) encouraging a discussion about what type of problems and function

properties are of interest.

As a result of the workshop, we aim to obtain a first game-based testsuite for the

COCO (COmparing Continuous Optimisers) platform.

If you have been working on a game-related problem that could potentially be

solved with evolutionary algorithms, submit it to our workshop. We have listed

a few suitable problem types on our website, but the more diverse problems

we have, the better will the resulting benchmark be. Plus, you'll receive solutions

to your problem from state-of-the-art optimisation algorithms.

OK... HOW?

Instead of a call for papers, we have a call for participation regarding

game-based benchmarking functions. You as a participant are asked to

provide a problem which we will then use to produce benchmarking results.

To this end, we provide clear instructions and examples. You may also

provide an extended abstract of 2-4 pages that describes the problem you

implemented to be published in the GECCO Companion for future reference.

Submission formats

You can provide in any of the three following formats, depending on what suits

you best and how much information you can make available to us.

* Server: Host your problem on your own server and make its responses

accessible via our interface.

* Code: Give us access to your problem by making an executable or the code

available to us.

* Data: We send you a set of samples in search space (50 per dimension) and

you send us your results. Based on the data, we approximate a surrogate

function to use in the benchmark.

Awesome! WHEN?

* Abstract submission: March 27th, 2018

* Abstract acceptance notification: April 10th, 2018

* Problem submission: June 30th, 2018

* Workshop: July 15th/16th, 2018

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION General information on GECCO workshops can be found at http://gecco-2018.sigevo.org/index.html/Workshops

For more details on our game benchmark workshop in particular as well as

up-to-date news, please visit our workshop website at

https://url.tu-dortmund.de/gamesbench

ORGANISERS

* Vanessa Volz (TU Dortmund University, Germany)

* Boris Naujoks (TH Köln - University of Applied Sciences, Germany)

* Tea Tušar (Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia)

* Pascal Kerschke (WWU Münster, Germany)