Playful People is looking for a part-time shader programmer for procedurally generated art effects

Ien Cheng

Dec 10, 2016, 12:29:04 PM12/10/16
to Procedural Content Generation
Playful People, a new indie studio based in New York City, is looking for a part-time Unity shader programmer with passion for procedural generation to work on visual effects on an alpha-stage mobile music game. The studio was founded by a former Googler whose previous game work has been featured at IndieCade EAST.

This position may extend beyond this project. It is also a great stepping-stone, e.g. a game design consultant and junior programmer for Playful People both recently went to work for Jesse Schell's studio in Pittsburgh.

Short-listed candidates will be given a 1-day test assignment. You will be paid $125 for this assignment regardless of the outcome.

At Playful People, we love procedural generation -- we focus on creating art systems rather than individual art assets. We also love visual effects that both look good and elegantly achieve clear functional purposes in terms of gameplay.

We also care about having fun working together. You must be a team player, a good communicator, and have a sense of humor.

Remote is ok, with North/South American time zones strongly preferred.

Requirements:
  • Expert in shader programming
  • Loves procedural generation
  • Knows when to use math formulas and when to use textures as shader inputs
  • Knows how to optimize shaders for mobile
  • Knows enough general Unity C# programming to integrate shaders into game code
  • Thoughtful -- wants to get things done the right way in terms of programming style
  • Efficient -- knows how to get things done quickly
If interested, please email i...@alum.mit.edu with (1) resume, (2) sample Unity shader code that uses procedural generation (with instructions if needed on how to demo in Unity), and (3) availability in the next week for the 1-day test.