Executing simulator many times and outputting all traces at the end.

Mehmet Emin BAKIR

Aug 22, 2015, 6:50:39 PM8/22/15
to PRISM model checker
Hi everyone,
I need to get simulation traces of a prism model from commandline. I am facing two difficulties, first one is I need to exclude the action column from produced traces.
And the second one is I need define the simulation sample size, that is I mean, the simulator needs to repeat to produce traces a more than one time, e.g, 1000. 10.000,  times.
Currently am calling the prism simulator from commandline in a loop (i.e., 1000 times), and  for each turn, I modify the outputted traces file by removing the action column.
Which makes the process too slow. Is there a better way you can advice?

Thank you.

Marcin Copik

Aug 22, 2015, 7:39:42 PM8/22/15
to PRISM model checker
Hi Mehmet,

I'm not sure whether it is possible right now to generate multiple outputs in one run. It shouldn't be hard for me to provide a fix with such option, but you can try another thing: if the traces are not very long, then you may be spending a lot of time on initialization of JVM on every run of PRISM. This problem was mentioned on mailing list few weeks ago:
If the initialization time of JVM is not the bottleneck in your case, then we may look for another solution.

Best regards,
Marcin Copik

Mehmet Emin BAKIR

Aug 22, 2015, 8:08:56 PM8/22/15
to prismmod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcin,
Thank you for your prompt reply. Since I need many traces, reducing the JVM initialization times is quite important, but in my case it still not enough. Because my ultimate aim is to produce many simulation samples to a single file (to reduce I/O time as well), and also the the action column should be discarded. I have double checked options, unfortunately it seems, I need to modify the source code. I hope I can import and run the code in windows and eclipse environment:)

Thank you,

Mehmet Emin BAKIR

Dave Parker

Aug 24, 2015, 3:34:55 AM8/24/15
to prismmod...@googlegroups.com, memin...@gmail.com
Hi Mehmet,

As suggested by Marcin, it should not be a big job to update PRISM's
-simpath functionality so that it (a) outputs multiple paths and (b)
omits the action labels when printing. One of us should be able to
provide some pointers or patches to do this. Are you compiling your
version of PRISM from from source code?

Best wishes,

Dave.
> <memin...@gmail.com <mailto:memin...@gmail.com>> napisał:
>
> Hi everyone,
> I need to get simulation traces of a prism model from
> commandline. I am facing two difficulties, first one is I need
> to exclude the action column from produced traces.
> And the second one is I need define the simulation sample size,
> that is I mean, the simulator needs to repeat to produce traces
> a more than one time, e.g, 1000. 10.000, times.
> Currently am calling the prism simulator from commandline in a
> loop (i.e., 1000 times), and for each turn, I modify the
> outputted traces file by removing the action column.
> Which makes the process too slow. Is there a better way you can
> advice?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/prismmodelchecker.
>
> --
>

> --
> Mehmet Emin BAKIR

Mehmet Emin BAKIR

Aug 24, 2015, 7:39:34 AM8/24/15
to Dave Parker, prismmod...@googlegroups.com

Dear Dave,
Yes I had modified the code which outputs multiple paths and ignores action. The results I presented belongs to the modified code which is still slow.

Dear Marcin
Thank you for explanation. If you somehow improved the performance, I will really appreciate if I can have the code.

Thank you,
Best

Mehmet Emin BAKIR