Running PRISM on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Paolo Izzo

Jan 27, 2016, 9:32:12 AM1/27/16
to PRISM model checker
Hi all,

I am trying to run PRISM on a Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan machine. I tried to install the binary version as well as compiling from source code (no errors). When I try to run after the installation I get the following:

paoloizzo:prism-4.3-src$ ./bin/xprism

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/paoloizzo/Downloads/prism-4.3-src/lib/libjdd.dylib: dlopen(/Users/paoloizzo/Downloads/prism-4.3-src/lib/libjdd.dylib, 1): Library not loaded: ../../lib/libdd.dylib

  Referenced from: /Users/paoloizzo/Downloads/prism-4.3-src/lib/libjdd.dylib

  Reason: image not found

Now I know that it is recommended to run a 32bit version of Java, but to be honest I wasn't able to find and install one that is compatible with OS X 10.11, they are all for x64 architectures only (even older versions). This is the output from java -version:

paoloizzo:prism-4.3-src$ java -version

java version "1.8.0_25"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)

paoloizzo:prism-4.3-src$ javac -version

javac 1.8.0_25

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions for me?

Thanks,

Paolo

Dave Parker

Jan 29, 2016, 4:56:13 AM1/29/16
to prismmod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paolo,

A few people are having this trouble when upgrading to El
Capitan. For now, a workaround seems to be to change the path to the
'java' executable that runs PRISM.

You should find an installation of Java somewhere like this:

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_60.jdk

(obviously the precise name will depend on the version you have)

Try running PRISM with the java executable to be found there, e.g. by
running:

PRISM_JAVA=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java
prism

or by replacing the value of PRISM_JAVA directly in the prism script
directly.

Please let me know if that works for you.

Best wishes,

Dave.

On 27/01/2016 14:24, Paolo Izzo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to run PRISM on a Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan machine. I tried
> to install the binary version as well as compiling from source code (no
> errors). When I try to run after the installation I get the following:
>
> *paoloizzo:prism-4.3-src$* ./bin/xprism
>
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
> /Users/paoloizzo/Downloads/prism-4.3-src/lib/libjdd.dylib:
> dlopen(/Users/paoloizzo/Downloads/prism-4.3-src/lib/libjdd.dylib, 1):
> Library not loaded: ../../lib/libdd.dylib
>
> Referenced from: /Users/paoloizzo/Downloads/prism-4.3-src/lib/libjdd.dylib
>
> Reason: image not found
>

> Now I know that it is recommended to run a 32bit version of Java, but to
> be honest I wasn't able to find and install one that is compatible with
> OS X 10.11, they are all for x64 architectures only (even older
> versions). This is the output from java -version:
>

> *paoloizzo:prism-4.3-src$* java -version
>
> java version "1.8.0_25"

> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)
>
> *paoloizzo:prism-4.3-src$* javac -version
>
> javac 1.8.0_25
>

> Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions for me?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paolo

paoloth...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2016, 5:22:14 AM1/29/16
to PRISM model checker, paoloth...@gmail.com
Thanks for the help, this solution works perfectly. I would suggest you to add it to the troubleshooting page so it's easier to see for other users as well.

Thanks,
Paolo

s.si...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2016, 9:14:06 AM2/19/16
to PRISM model checker
Hi Dave,

I also had the same problem and the proposed solution worked fine for me.
The underlying issue is, that SIP (a security feature introduced in El Capitan) filters DYLD_* variables.
You can find the corresponding bug report here: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8139288
Unfortunately, I don't understand the structure of PRISM good enough to submit a patch solving the problem.

Best,
Salomon

Dave Parker

May 27, 2016, 7:40:24 AM5/27/16
to prismmod...@googlegroups.com, paoloth...@gmail.com
Hi all,

For info, this issue (building/running on El Capitan) is now fixed, both
in our subversion repo, and the latest release 4.3.1:

http://www.prismmodelchecker.org/download.php

Best wishes,

Dave