complexity of algorithm

steph...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2016, 5:05:24 AM7/8/16
to PRISM model checker
Hello everybody,

I would like to know the complexity of the algorithm used in MDP for the property specification Rmin=? [F target]. I cannot seem to find the right answer in the manual. Is it polynomial or exponential?!

Thanks,

Stephane.

someusernam...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 7:03:14 AM7/15/16
to PRISM model checker, steph...@gmail.com
Hello,
whether it is polynomial or exponential depends on how you measure it. Although I am not 100% sure (especially for symbolic models, since there it is not obvious to me how to measure the size), I think the algorithm uses in the worst case exponential time regarding the size of the LTL-formula in the squared-brackets and polynomial time regarding the size of the model, so the overall runtime is sometihng like O(poly(size of model) * exp(size of LTL-formula)).

steph...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2016, 7:04:29 PM7/21/16
to PRISM model checker, steph...@gmail.com
In the MDP structure, there are no continuous time variables, that's why I was asking......

Dave Parker

Jul 25, 2016, 8:50:47 AM7/25/16
to prismmod...@googlegroups.com, steph...@gmail.com
Hi Stephane,

For the problem of checking Rmin=? [F target], the main part of the
computation can actually be done using linear programming, which makes
it polynomial (in the size of the state space). In practice, though,
PRISM usually uses iterative numerical methods, which do not have ths
complexity.

Hope that helps.

Dave

On 21/07/2016 08:02, steph...@gmail.com wrote:
> In the MDP structure, there are no continuous time variables, that's why
> I was asking......

steph...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2016, 3:19:09 AM8/6/16
to PRISM model checker, steph...@gmail.com, d.a.p...@cs.bham.ac.uk
Thank you very much for the answer. It indeed helps.