Question on Geo module results

Jeff

Jul 16, 2010, 7:47:39 AM7/16/10
to Prey
The Geo module was successful in returning a Google map of
the block where the laptop is, and it appears to have pinpointed the
lot where the laptop is, but it actually has it's blue pointer in the
middle of the street so it would be hard to identify which house is
the actual location. I mean the map does give the street name but
not the name of the city, or state or the house number ... some of
which
I would have thought could be retrievable ... Is that as specific as
it
gets, or is there someway to identify this further?

Thanks,

Jeff

MKHCB

Jul 16, 2010, 11:53:56 AM7/16/10
to Prey
It is as specific as google wants it to be. However with Whois info,
you can get more info about the ISP. From there, just take the ip and
ISP info to the police, and let them supena the ISP for the address.
--MKHCB

Tom Wood

Jul 16, 2010, 1:23:40 PM7/16/10
to prey-s...@googlegroups.com

It all depends on how many WiFi networks you can see from where you are, and
whether or not Google knows about them and their location.

If your house is within the "Accuracy" circle, then that's as good as it
gets.

It may be better or worse wherever the thief takes the computer.

Tom

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

Jul 16, 2010, 2:36:58 PM7/16/10
to Prey
Thanks for posting here, too, MKHCB.

> It is as specific as google wants it to be.

Well, when I test Google's Geo ("Show My Location") feature, it
returns the city and state. However, Prey's Geo module is only
showing a couple of street names ... which could be anywhere ...

>However with Whois info, you can get more info about the ISP. From there, just take the ip and ISP info to the police, and let them supena the ISP for the address.

I take your point, but without the City/State info, it might be
difficult to know which police department to approach ... I might get
lucky on a Google Search and be able to find the intersection of the
named roads but I figured that if Prey is relying on Google for the
Geo data, they could probably return the City/State, too, and
eliminate any guesswork.

Jeff

Jeff

Jul 16, 2010, 2:40:29 PM7/16/10
to Prey
Thanks for your post, Tom.

I take your point on the accuracy and possible limits of same. My
main (intended) question was more to why if the street name(s) were
returned by Prey, why not the City and State (especially since Google
has the data)?

Jeff

MKHCB

Jul 16, 2010, 4:48:01 PM7/16/10
to Prey
http://whois.domaintools.com/

I might make something that adds this info.

As you can see, you can get a good amount of info from there. I am
aware that the site doesn't have the info you are looking for on the
site. However with a stream line you can get that info. I will see
what I can do.

I might also work on a project to enhance the geo location. To be
honest, I really never cared about the geolocation module, given the
fact that many websites can do miracles with an ip. However I will see
what I can do. Also, Tomás may have something in mind (never talked to
him about it).

However, now that Tomás is finishing up the prey lock we have been
working on, I have adapted a new project. That hopefully Tomás &
everyone will like (I have not ran it by him though-I will wait till
after the preylock version comes out before I introduce this new
thing). In other words, I will try to find time for the geo-stuff but
it might take me some time.

Tom Wood

Jul 16, 2010, 8:05:59 PM7/16/10
to prey-s...@googlegroups.com
In standalone mode, by default, the information provided is:

:: lat=23.385106
:: lng=-162.9920863
:: accuracy=150.0

I have modified my copy of prey to give a link to google maps using the
latitude and longitude:
:: link=http://maps.google.com/maps?&q=23.385106,-162.9920863(Impostor)

And I have modified my copy of prey to return the full results from Google:
::
full={"location":{"latitude":23.385106,"longitude":-162.9920863,"address":{"
country":"United States","country
code":"US","region":"California","county":"Name of County","city":"Name of
City","street":"Name of Street","street_number":"Street
Number","postal_code":"Zip
Code"},"accuracy":150.0},"access_token":"2:QUyP6VPSaEg9WFQf:nhbxrn3ucbMamEIo
"}

(Note that I have modified the above to hide my location.)

If the control panel version of the software is not giving all of this
information, it should be relatively easy to add it.

Tom

Jul 16, 2010, 11:14:02 PM7/16/10
to Prey
replace the wifi & network module folders with this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/39eoku

Let me know how it works for you.

MKHCB

PS. This is optimized for standalone version however it should work
with the online (I only use the only use the online site as a cp, not
as a report recipient. So, I have yet to try this out).

Jeff

Jul 20, 2010, 9:06:46 AM7/20/10
to Prey
On Jul 16, 4:48 pm, MKHCB <mkhcb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://whois.domaintools.com/
>
> I might make something that adds this info.
>
> As you can see, you can get a good amount of info from there.

Ok, I can see how this helps, thanks!

Jeff

Sourceminer

Mar 6, 2012, 7:08:24 PM3/6/12
to prey-s...@googlegroups.com
Tom Might I ask (been trying to find the answer / document) how do I run this in Standalone mode?
From a windows CMD shell, what would the syntax be?

Tom Wood

Mar 7, 2012, 1:33:14 AM3/7/12
to prey-s...@googlegroups.com

I’m not sure what you are asking, you seem to be conflating two concepts.

The first concept is the operation mode.  Prey can operate in either Standalone or Control Panel mode.  If you want to run in standalone mode, you need a web server somewhere that you control.  In this mode, Prey does NOT use the control panel at preyproject.com to determine if the computer is missing, it uses your own server.  This gives you more control over Prey and prevents any of your data from going to Prey Project’s servers.  But it takes more work to administer, and you don’t have access to as many features.

There is also the concept of how to launch prey.  Prey normally runs on a schedule, on your Windows box there is a service that was installed as part of Prey which launches prey on the schedule set on the control panel.  If you’d like to run prey manually, you can simply open a command window and do these two commands (assuming prey was installed in the default location.)

cd \prey <enter>

platform\windows\bin\bash.exe prey.sh --on-demand <enter>

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Tom

Sourceminer