Apache Hive 1.2.0 Metastore and Presto - Error occurred during processing of message.

brenda...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2015, 1:47:56 AM6/1/15
to presto...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I feel like I am doing something very basic wrong here but can't figure out what it might be.

I have setup Apache Hadoop 2.7.0 and Apache Hive 1.2.0 and Presto 0.105.
I run the following:

$HIVE_HOME/bin/hiveserver2
$HIVE_HOME/bin/beeline -u jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000

From here I am able to happily issue hive queries / statements.

I then configure a Presto catalog for Hive as follows:
connector.name=hive-hadoop2
hive.metastore.uri=thrift://localhost:10000

However when I now connect with Presto and issue a statement I get a socket timeout.
I can telnet to localhost 10000 fine and it looks like Presto can connect but Presto and Hive are not talking the same language (see Hive log below).

I notice that Beeline is using JDBC protocol but I want thrift, but Hive thrift port is set to 10000.

What am I doing wrong or what are some suggestions on next steps for debugging?

Thanks in advance
Brendan

Presto Error:
Query 20150601_052745_00003_tjmqv failed: localhost: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

HIVE LOG

15/06/01 15:33:20 [HiveServer2-Handler-Pool: Thread-32]: ERROR server.TThreadPoolServer: Error occurred during processing of message.
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: Invalid status -128
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslServerTransport$Factory.getTransport(TSaslServerTransport.java:219)
at org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:268)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: Invalid status -128
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.sendAndThrowMessage(TSaslTransport.java:232)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.receiveSaslMessage(TSaslTransport.java:184)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslServerTransport.handleSaslStartMessage(TSaslServerTransport.java:125)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.open(TSaslTransport.java:271)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslServerTransport.open(TSaslServerTransport.java:41)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslServerTransport$Factory.getTransport(TSaslServerTransport.java:216)
... 4 more

David Phillips

Jun 1, 2015, 2:08:04 AM6/1/15
to presto...@googlegroups.com
There are two different services which both use Thrift as the protocol: metastore and hiveserver2. Presto talks to the metastore which by default uses port 9083. The Hive JDBC driver uses hiveserver2.

brenda...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2015, 2:15:10 AM6/1/15
to presto...@googlegroups.com, da...@acz.org
Ok thanks David, figured something like this was the problem.
I'm really going to show my ignorance now...

How would one start the Apache Hive metastore?
I've been looking but I always seem to be stumbling on the command to start the Hive server (that runs the JDBC interface).

When I run this I can't see anything listening on port 9083 via netstat :(

brenda...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2015, 4:19:10 AM6/1/15
to presto...@googlegroups.com, brenda...@gmail.com, da...@acz.org
Ok, worked it out. Not sure how I missed it before because I am pretty sure I read this page.

For prosperity the command is:
$ hive --service metastore

Documented here - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/AdminManual+MetastoreAdmin

Thanks David for your help!

Stephen Sprague

Jun 1, 2015, 3:12:14 PM6/1/15
to presto...@googlegroups.com
good man.  he ground it out on his own! :)

Damien Carol

Jun 3, 2015, 2:30:16 PM6/3/15
to presto...@googlegroups.com, brenda...@gmail.com
Why prefer release 2.7.0 over stable 2.6.0?