ABANDONED_QUERY Error when querying data in S3

jpamp...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2015, 7:36:42 AM12/15/15
to Presto
Hi,

I am querying log data in Amazon S3 with Presto 0.119 install in Amazon EMR and when I query more than a couple hundred GB I get the following error:

Error Type
USER_ERROR
Error Code
ABANDONED_QUERY (2)
Message
com.facebook.presto.execution.AbandonedException: Query 20151215_120314_02302_xc54q has not been accessed since 2015-12-15T12:15:40.292Z: currentTime 2015-12-15T12:20:40.977Z
at com.facebook.presto.execution.SqlQueryManager.failAbandonedQueries(SqlQueryManager.java:451)
at com.facebook.presto.execution.SqlQueryManager$1.run(SqlQueryManager.java:136)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Any ideas why this might be happening or how to avoid it?

Cheers,
Juan.

Nezih Yigitbasi

Dec 15, 2015, 11:30:01 AM12/15/15
to presto...@googlegroups.com

Are you using presto-cli to submit your query? The error says that the client that you are using hasn’t accessed the query for the past five minutes and you may want to understand why that happens. The query.client.timeout config parameter controls this timeout value (you use the default value of 5m)

Nezih

Juan Martin Pampliega

Dec 15, 2015, 12:59:43 PM12/15/15
to presto...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nezih.

It was exactly as you said. I was using presto-cli.

After adding the property query.client.timeout=20m in the config.properties file of the master node and restarting presto-server the query did not fail anymore.

Cheers,
Juan.