How to fix “error exists on this page” PDF error

brianwebb01

Mar 28, 2011, 2:16:28 PM3/28/11
to Prawn
Hey Guys,

I'm getting this error when trying to open my Prawn generated PDF in
Acrobat: An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the
page correctly. Please contact the person who created the PDF document
to correct the problem.

My PDF does use a background image on every page, has lots of pages
(usually 75+), and has lots of transparent images, but nothing that
should be causing an error. Additionally Mac's Preview shows no
issues, and if you press "OK" on the Acrobat error, everything is
fine.

I ran the Preflight tool in Acrobat Professional to check for PDF
syntax errors and found no errors but some warnings "Unbalanced q and
Q operators".

Any ideas on how I can get the error to go away?

Brad Ediger

Mar 28, 2011, 2:29:08 PM3/28/11
to prawn...@googlegroups.com, brianwebb01
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM, brianwebb01 <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran the Preflight tool in Acrobat Professional to check for PDF
> syntax errors and found no errors but some warnings "Unbalanced q and
> Q operators".
>
> Any ideas on how I can get the error to go away?

What version of Prawn are you using? We refactored the graphics state
stack recently and that fixed a bunch of these kinds of issues. We're
soon going to cut a proper 0.11 release that includes these fixes --
it's only because we haven't had a full stable release in quite a
while.

Brad

Daniel Nelson

Mar 28, 2011, 2:31:26 PM3/28/11
to prawn...@googlegroups.com
> I ran the Preflight tool in Acrobat Professional to check for PDF
> syntax errors and found no errors but some warnings "Unbalanced q and
> Q operators".

That could well be doing it.

> Any ideas on how I can get the error to go away?

You're not using master yet, are you? Master should be fixed thanks to
Jonathan Greenberg.

We're aiming to cut a gem this week.

Cheers,

Daniel

brianwebb01

Mar 28, 2011, 2:43:17 PM3/28/11
to Prawn
I'm using 0.11.1.pre

- brian

Daniel Nelson

Mar 28, 2011, 2:56:11 PM3/28/11
to prawn...@googlegroups.com
> I'm using 0.11.1.pre

We're releasing a new gem soon, or else you can give master a try to
take advantage of the changes Jonathan contributed.

- Daniel

brianwebb01

Mar 28, 2011, 3:07:53 PM3/28/11
to Prawn
If your cutting the gem this week I'll just wait and see if that fixes
it, then report back.

- brian

Daniel Nelson

Mar 28, 2011, 3:10:45 PM3/28/11
to prawn...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM, brianwebb01 <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If your cutting the gem this week I'll just wait and see if that fixes
> it, then report back.

Thanks. Watch this list for the release announcement.

Best,

Daniel