Parsing with derivatives

Jon Harrop

Mar 21, 2017, 5:00:14 PM3/21/17
to pragmatic-functional...@googlegroups.com

I always loved this article by Neelakantan Krishnaswami about using Antimorov derivatives to create simple DFAs for matching regular expressions:

http://semantic-domain.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/antimirov-derivatives-for-regular.html

The code is wonderfully simple but only works for acyclic problems like regular expressions.

Matt Might published an interesting post that extends the concept of derivatives to allow grammars to be parsed (2011):

http://matt.might.net/papers/might2011derivatives.pdf

To date I have failed to translate these solutions into an ML but I wonder what they would look like and, in particular, if this really is a pragmatic approach.

Jon Harrop

Mar 21, 2017, 9:25:41 PM3/21/17
to pragmatic-functional...@googlegroups.com

To date I have failed to translate these solutions into an ML but I wonder what they would look like and, in particular, if this really is a pragmatic approach to parsing.

Christos KK Loverdos

Mar 23, 2017, 3:45:11 AM3/23/17
to pragmatic-functional...@googlegroups.com

There is a follow up work from Matt Might's group:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1604.04695

I think a version of this was published in PLDI 2016.