Room for an OCaml IDE

Jon Harrop

Jun 8, 2016, 2:42:40 AM6/8/16
to pragmatic-functional...@googlegroups.com

I’m currently writing a server for the finance industry in OCaml on Linux. The OCaml language is superb, of course, but the development environment is really painful compared to, for example, F# in Visual Studio on Windows. The main problems are lack of integration and bugs (Merlin in Emacs hangs so often I have a second terminal window open just to run “killall emacs”!).

Consequently, I think there is room for an OCaml IDE and my personal choice would be to wrap the OCaml compiler in a server and write the IDE in F# as a client on Windows. If the work continues I’ll probably have a go at this myself… J

http://www.ffconsultancy.com

Malcolm Matalka

Jun 8, 2016, 3:07:49 AM6/8/16
to Jon Harrop, pragmatic-functional...@googlegroups.com

Bugs in Merlin are fixable, surely that is less effort than building an IDE from scratch and benefits more people?

Jon Harrop

Jun 8, 2016, 5:58:52 AM6/8/16
to Malcolm Matalka, pragmatic-functional...@googlegroups.com

Ø  Less effort

I think this would only be a couple of hundred lines of code.

Ø  Benefits more people

Self selection. Almost all OCaml developers use not-Windows because OCaml’s support for Windows is so dire. This would hugely improve support for OCaml development on Windows (even though the OCaml is actually running on a Linux server).