Excerpt from Back to Godhead magazine (1966-2008)

pragosh

Apr 24, 2014, 6:43:48 AM4/24/14
to PN, PV, QK, SPN
Back to Godhead Magazine #37, 1970

Love in the Absolute World
by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Somehow Or Other, Surrender

If one surrenders in some way or other to Krsna, Krsna will not let him go. Sri Rupa Gosvami says, "Somehow or other, just try to apply your mind to Krsna. Never mind what you are, what you are doing or what your position is -- it doesn't matter. Simply try to apply your mind to Krsna; then everything will follow." Krsna is not subject to any conditions. It is not that one can go to Him only after becoming qualified. There is no such necessity. Material qualifications have no value. In the material world we calculate, "This is good, and this is bad." But actually nothing is good, and nothing is bad -- it is all illusion. In illusion where is there goodness or badness? Illusion is illusion.

In the Bhagavad-gita it is said that even a slight application of the principle of Krsna consciousness delivers a person from the greatest danger. What is that greatest danger? The greatest danger is our material existence. Repeatedly we take birth, and repeatedly we meet death. This is the greatest danger. People do not understand it. They do not know on which platform they are standing. This material platform is the greatest danger. It is compared to a forest fire: samsara-davanala-lidha-loka. Actually, anywhere we go we see that there is always fire. The fire brigade is always running this way and that way. However we try to keep our material existence peaceful and prosperous by artificial means, there is no possibility of peace and prosperity in the material world. We must understand that it is always full of danger. One who becomes serious about his position knows: "I am not in a very steady or fixed up position; my position is very tottering. I am standing on a tottering platform." This is the actual beginning of spiritual life.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Somehow Or Other, Surrender