Hello All 2011 Season is among us. Here's the Official discussion

Jim Burke

Mar 3, 2011, 11:12:42 AM3/3/11
to Power Racing Series
So far many of you have displayed interest in another season of power wheels. This is both a great idea and a tricky one.

As some of you already know, Jordan Bunker and I are filming a documentary on Hackerspaces and the Maker Movement scheduled for completion around late 2011. This project in itself is immensely ambitious, and has absorbed virtually all of my free time. Because of this I simply can't run powerwheels by myself....

however, you can.

I have visited two spaces (i3 & CCCKC) who have offered their help and expertise in running the main event. According to CCCKC Make is planning a Maker Faire that is not a mini-but-not-quite-a-major fair. As a result of this experimentation, CCCKC has offered to also host a PPPRS sanctioned race in June of 2011. Milwaukee Makerspace has also expressed interest in running a small exhibition race in April, pending any teams who can scrape together a vehicle for fun by then

Let me repeat that: Power Wheels will have 2 race weekends (+1 exhibition)  this season.

April: Milwaukee Pre-Season Exhibition Mayhem
June: CCCKC presents the 2011 PPPRS race of Champions
July 31st: i3 Detroit presents the 2011 PPPRS finale

Maker Faire Detroit will be our Grand Finale Championship Race, and teams interested in winning the main title would be encouraged to race both. Yeah, kinda like a real racing series. Odd, I know.

Now, I apologize for the delays because handling the documentary has made working on this a side project. Good news is that I should be able to whip up a packet explaining the new rules AND how to run a sanctioned PPPRS no later than Mid-March. The bad news is that it'll take til Mid March. I wish it would be sooner guys, but I can only get so much done in a week.

In other news, Make Magazine will feature a blurb and a few nice big photos of PPPRS from last season scheduled to be on newsstands in April. By that time, expect a revamp and update to the website, which I will hand over the keys to CCCKC and i3 to update photos, team info and etc from there.

Any thoughts?

Tom Gralewicz

Mar 3, 2011, 11:36:17 AM3/3/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
Count Milwaukee in!

We finalized out event schedule for our Grand Opening Party April 9th at the Milwauke Makerspace and it includes a Power Wheels race!

The plan is for a 1 hour race event (we are thinking of something like the 30 lap race so it won't be 1 hour of solid racing)

I know I'm adding more to our plate, but would people be more likely to come if we made it a full series?
    Drag race in the morning,   30 lap in the afternoon and an endurance race Sunday?  We won't have quite the crowds of the maker fair but it can still be a good time.

Tom
--
Tom Gralewicz
Miller Electronics Recycling

Jim Burke

Mar 3, 2011, 11:41:18 AM3/3/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
well it depends. April is mighty quick short notice. Though I'd lol to see last year's cars race. It would entirely be an inside joke: Some F1 teams test with last year's cars in the first month of pre-season

I'd have to talk to Patrick to see if PS:1GP can be ready that early. IF they can you'll at least have a shootout with them!

As for the rest of you guys out there, I know everyone is waiting for rules updates so I've written up a few drafts, I'd like to make a complete draft before I submit it to everyone's scrutiny.

here's the words I've been tossing around a few emails now concerning new rules:

Races:

So far there has been discussion of expanding our even to four races. However depending on availability and grounds at Maker Faire will determine what kind of races. Here is a list of races that might be approved for 2011. Any four of these will be the final races selected and the races will not be announced until May of 2011. This prevents teams from getting too much of a head start but enough time to get a car finished and any parts ordered and tested. This also prevents teams from being slackers, or from teams being lame and breaking all their shit (ahem, psone)

The proposed races for 2011 are:

1. Road Course Endurance (1-1.5 hour)
2. Road Course 15 Lap Melee
3. Drag Race
4. Maker Faire-Wide Scavenger Hunt
5. Oval Race Moxie Point Challenge
6. Drifting Competition
7. Soccer Match
8. Nerf Cross-Country Shoot-Out

The Big Four Rules:

1. Changing the power from 24v to 36 RMA to the motor
2. Permission of Any wheels, (sans go-kart or racing slicks)
3. $500 budget limit excluding safety costs (re; brakes) , powerwheels body, and batteries (with $150 you-took-this-too-seriously buyout)
4. Dimensions limit (excluding height)
5. Teams will be required for inspection to prove these rules and be able to perform a 0-15-0mph test to prove power capability and the fact that it does indeed have a method of stopping.

Moxie Points

There's two ways to handle this: We either cap the total pool of moxie points per event to 100 or we host a purely Moxie Event where all the points are from moxie and not winning. Tradeoffs mean the crowd can interact directly because of the slower speeds.

New Season Requirements:

Kill Switch: It will be suggested what method of kill switch teams can use. Due to the differences in team vehicles it will be up to the teams to create and prove a working, viable kill switch that can be engaged in the event of a car losing control. This will also be a part of pre-race inspection

Transponders: It will be up to i3 to discuss what method to do this, but because a race broke out last year, we will be needing a method of lap timing and tracking that can be easily updated and quickly decided.

Insurance & Sponsorship: Maker Faire has made explicit note last year that it wishes to be the middleman when discussing sponsorship. This will be a tricky bit because it will determine what we get from MFD and any series sponsor.

Thoughts and input on these are greatly appreciated.

Luis Rodriguez, CCCKC, VP Communications

Mar 3, 2011, 11:48:08 AM3/3/11
to Power Racing Series
This is wonderful and mid March is fine for us in Kansas City. Our
Maker Faire will be indeed something of a new breed since its going to
be bigger than a mini and not quite a Detroit but fun thanks to this
event. I would love to have a discussion with Milwaukee about their
preparations for their race. Our Host, Union Station has a large
parking lot and tarmac available to us so we have options for race
location and style. I want to do this race series justice so we plan
to approach KCK Speedway, our local Nascar track, and several
companies in town for sponsorship. This is going to be awesome, I hope
every team can make it down! We've got several teams forming here
between CCCKC Hackerspace and the Make:KC group (Maker City Group -
has meetings around the city). Any dates yet for Milwaukee yet? KC
will be Friday June 24 (evening) and Saturday June 25th (10-9pm) with
a possibility of Sunday opening up if we get tons of makers. We are
days aways from a microsite launch and call for makers app going live.
I'll keep everyone posted.

Luis Rodriguez
CCCKC
VP Communications

I also work for the Kauffman Foundation who is helping sponsor Maker
Faire at Union Station this year. We are calling this our Maker Summer
as we also have a 3 day Mini in August. I am sure cars will be at
least on display if not touring the grounds.

On Mar 3, 10:12 am, Jim Burke <burkedes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So far many of you have displayed interest in another season of power
> wheels. This is both a great idea and a tricky one.
>
> As some of you already know, Jordan Bunker and I are filming a documentary
> on Hackerspaces and the Maker Movement scheduled for completion around late
> 2011. This project in itself is immensely ambitious, and has absorbed
> virtually all of my free time. Because of this I simply can't run
> powerwheels by myself....
>
> however, you can.
>
> I have visited two spaces (i3 & CCCKC) who have offered their help and
> expertise in running the main event. According to CCCKC Make is planning a
> Maker Faire that is not a mini-but-not-quite-a-major fair. As a result of
> this experimentation, CCCKC has offered to also host a PPPRS sanctioned race
> in June of 2011. Milwaukee Makerspace has also expressed interest in running
> a small exhibition race in April, pending any teams who can scrape together
> a vehicle for fun by then
>
> Let me repeat that: *Power Wheels will have 2 race weekends (+1 exhibition)
> this season.*

Luis Rodriguez, CCCKC, VP Communications

Mar 7, 2011, 12:17:34 PM3/7/11
to Power Racing Series
Dumb question but I can't seem to find a reference to the dimensions
of the track or shape? I can't honestly remember from Detroit? I have
space but need to start claiming it on the grounds. We have an option
or flat pavement or flat parking lot with medians as a center divider?
Any thoughts? Rough is ok, what are you doing in Milwaukee?

On Mar 3, 10:41 am, Jim Burke <burkedes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> on Hackerspaces and the Maker Movement scheduled for completion around late
> >> 2011. This project in itself is immensely ambitious, and has absorbed
> >> virtually all of my free time. Because of this I simply can't run
> >> powerwheels by myself....
>
> >> however, you can.
>
> >> I have visited two spaces (i3 & CCCKC) who have offered their help and
> >> expertise in running the main event. According to CCCKC Make is planning a
> >> Maker Faire that is not a mini-but-not-quite-a-major fair. As a result of
> >> this experimentation, CCCKC has offered to also host a PPPRS sanctioned race
> >> in June of 2011. Milwaukee Makerspace has also expressed interest in running
> >> a small exhibition race in April, pending any teams who can scrape together
> >> a vehicle for fun by then
>
> >> Let me repeat that: *Power Wheels will have 2 race weekends (+1

Jim Burke

Mar 7, 2011, 12:45:23 PM3/7/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have at home a list of dimensions and guidelines for the track that i can send you. Roughly the track was at minimum 80ft by 150ft. Track is constructed with PowerWheel width in mind. Ideally you want straights to be 3 1/2 powerwheels wide. There's also run-off sections on the turns to allow wider turning. Depending on cornering and speeds of the new 36 volt cars, the track will need to consider maximum length of straightaways and design tight turns that permit passing zones but also reduce top-end speed. This part is surprisingly tricky and if you could send me a map of the proposed areas I could sketch up a few examples that might clarify. The idea is that you want the track tight and competitive, but allow enough room for racing, without allowing speeds to reach dangerous peaks.

Barriers and sectioning off the track is critical and securing either used tires, hay bales, or interlocking wall barriers will be necessary to complete the track. PPPRS last season required nearly 700 tires that Maker Faire secured for the race. They also provided steel dividers beyond the tire barrier for extra safety. This is an ideal setup.

Open lots work, as do curvy road sections. It really depends on what's available. If we get first pick I'd focus heavily on where power is going to be. Pit lane has to be facing the outside of the track inward for easy access and whatever area is most easily accessible to power should be considered first.

Pit lane should also provide tents and tables + chairs for teams. Maker Faire also provided these.Last year 6 cars were given 5 tents. You can squeeze as many as 3 powerwheels per tent (Milwaukee Makerspace had 4 cars but a larger tent and some runoff area) , but ideally a 15x15 tent can accommodate 2 teams.

Milwaukee Makerspace wants to host an exhibition race for their open house. Non-Championship event where teams can just have a shoot out with MM. I don't expect any new cars to show up, I think we are just going to race last year's for fun. Small event just to get some promotions going. I will be inviting all teams though. Consider it a "test session"

I'll send you a map tonight with some specifications. That should help clear up what I typed earlier.

-Jim

Luis Rodriguez

Mar 7, 2011, 1:06:26 PM3/7/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com

That is great, thanks! I’ll indeed get a map of the areas we have to work with. We are organizing multiple large groups for MakerFaire so I want to make sure and snag the best spot for races.

Luis E. Rodriguez
Creative Services Coordinator

Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
4801 Rockhill Road
Kansas City MO 64110-2046

816-932-1254 Direct
816-751-6873 Fax

lrodr...@kauffman.org
www.kauffman.org

Tom Gralewicz

Mar 7, 2011, 6:20:33 PM3/7/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
We have a few choices in Milwaukee - my dream location is the indoor bay adjacent to our space - it has a central space as large as the track in Detroit with galleries along 2 sides with plenty of room for spectators and pits.  It also has two 10' tall walls of windows up hight to bring in light.  I have not approached the landlord about this space yet so its only a dream now.

Otherwise we are looking at parking lot, we might take over a fenced in area or just layout a track round existing obstacles (trucks and equipment.)  Either way, impact barriers are going to be an issue, any suggestions on where to borrow 500 used tires?

Tom
image005.gif
image009.gif
image003.gif
image002.gif
image006.gif
image010.gif
image004.gif
image007.gif
image008.gif

Steve Lazenby

Mar 7, 2011, 10:07:01 PM3/7/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com, Tom Gralewicz
When is the series coming to Toronto?
image009.gif
image010.gif
image006.gif
image003.gif
image002.gif
image007.gif
image004.gif
image005.gif
image008.gif

Jim Burke

Mar 7, 2011, 10:12:42 PM3/7/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
Heh. The following would need to happen to make that so:

a) There's a Maker Faire in Toronto
b) I start doing this for a living ;)

honestly I love that everyone here is excited to host their own events and I hope it works. Nothing would be cooler than to have a way for spaces to get together yearly at maker faires for joint projects and show the public what they can do in their spare time.
image008.gif
image009.gif
image005.gif
image007.gif
image002.gif
image010.gif
image006.gif
image003.gif
image004.gif

Luis Rodriguez

Mar 7, 2011, 10:19:22 PM3/7/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
Ha! "Spare time" What's that!?

From: Jim Burke <burke...@gmail.com<mailto:burke...@gmail.com>>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 21:12:42 -0600
To: "power-rac...@googlegroups.com<mailto:power-rac...@googlegroups.com>" <power-rac...@googlegroups.com<mailto:power-rac...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: Re: [PPPRS] Re: Hello All 2011 Season is among us. Here's the Official discussion

www.kauffman.org<http://www.kauffman.org>

[cid:image0...@01CBDCC0.1555B0C0]<http://www.kauffman.org/>

--
Tom Gralewicz
Miller Electronics Recycling
(414) 380-1716

www.deadcomputers.com<http://www.deadcomputers.com>

Canadian Avenger

Mar 7, 2011, 11:01:55 PM3/7/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com, Jim Burke
"a" is already happening on May 7 - albeit a mini-one. ;)
image004.gif
image002.gif
image010.gif
image008.gif
image003.gif
image007.gif
image009.gif
image006.gif
image005.gif

Luis Rodriguez

Mar 14, 2011, 4:56:11 PM3/14/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
I know your super duper busy but what are some THE basic rules that I can do a teaser promo about the event? I've had a ton of inquiry about only using stick motors etc... DO we just need a powerwheels body or what? Also what is the feeling about teams from the KC area? While we do have two groups (hackerspace/makerspace) can individuals compete? We've got a ton of interest from folks like art students etc... Also to be clear are people qualifying to compete in Detroit or are points/awards to each race? I was guessing the latter but though it would be awesome to have folks accumulate points in KC. We are launching our blog for www.makerfairekc.com and CCCKC will be doing a blog/tweet/facebook blast soon. I just want people to know the basic facts with the stipulation that more info and the official rules are coming. Any news on the transponder or should CCCKC come up with that for our area? Collaboration? Ok enough free-writing.

Jim Burke

Mar 15, 2011, 7:23:10 PM3/15/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
The Big Five Rules:

1. Changing the power from 24v to 36 RMA to the motor
2. Permission of Any wheels, (sans go-kart or racing slicks)
3. $500 budget limit excluding safety costs (re; brakes) , powerwheels body, and batteries (with $150 you-took-this-too-seriously buyout which means the sanctioning body can buy any powerwheel for $150 if a team gets too serious)

4. Dimensions limit (excluding height)
5. Teams will be required for inspection to prove these rules and be able to perform a 0-15-0mph test to prove power capability and the fact that it does indeed have a method of stopping.

Basically you start with a powerwheel and you literally hack and mod it until it can support a motor that powerful, a person that size and a battery that heavy. So yeah, the shell of the power wheel will most likely be all that remains. However this is critical, cause it is a Power Wheels racing series, not an electric go-kart series. This is the tongue-in-cheek part of the rant.

While I strongly encourage as many teams as possible to sign up, I strongly advise people form teams of 3 people or more. This is not a rule, but from past history it is much easier for a group to complete the project than an individual. I also stress that kids are not covered under any insurance and all drivers should be 18 years or older (check your state laws)

KC race is a points race. That is it is part of the championship. The season finale is at Detroit. Basically it is a two race season. Teams that attend both series will be most likely to win a championship.

Transponder stuff should be entirely within CCCKC hands. Keep in mind that as a franchise event you'll be entirely responsible for collecting these items to pull everything off. Things like barriers, tires, and possibly spare batteries for each team should be considered when seeking this year's series sponsor. I would strongly work with make to secure the funding to do this.

I'll be working on some of the packet tonight, but like I said, it'll be launched late March.

Luis Rodriguez

Mar 15, 2011, 7:37:08 PM3/15/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com, power-rac...@googlegroups.com
Very helpful, thanks!

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jim Burke

Mar 15, 2011, 8:05:28 PM3/15/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
by all means ask anything else that comes to mind.

some of the stuff I want to include in the packet for you are info on how to set up the track, how to set up the track for race day, how to organize your crew of race marshals, and other race day stuff.

Also lots of check lists. Holy hell, lots of checklists.

Luis Rodriguez

Mar 16, 2011, 12:15:26 PM3/16/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
I'm beating a dead horse but the motor should be the stock motor? Just getting questions like these daily. CCCKC is going to post a teaser (ok that is me) today about the upcoming race with the idea that more info will be released. And are the dimensions important at this point? Back to the motor " So yeah, the shell of the power wheel will most likely be all that remains." Does that mean as long as the motor isn't over 36v it can be any motor the maker/hacker supplies? Same for batteries? At least until we get a sponsor(s). Sponsorship money will be funneled through Maker Faire KC. Thanks!

Steve Lazenby

Mar 16, 2011, 12:17:05 PM3/16/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com, Luis Rodriguez
Would be nice if the power racing series website was updated if this is official ....

Luis Rodriguez

Mar 16, 2011, 12:18:37 PM3/16/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com, Luis Rodriguez
True dat. I believe they said they are working hard to finish that and this years rule book (PDF).

Shawn Blaszak

Mar 16, 2011, 12:31:11 PM3/16/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
I know last year the basic rule was that the motor could be any you could get your hands on as long as it was:

-  DC and at, or below, the 36V RMS  rule (was 24V last year).
-  cost less than the $500 limit when added to the cost of the rest of the car

Also, my understanding is that the reason the dimensions were important last year (besides wanting to match the max size of a Power Wheels car for the sake of the race's theme) is that if you make the car too big it will be impossible to pass or be passed on the track.  It makes track design much easier if you have a max car size.  I'm assuming that rule won't be changing this year.

Of course, this is all up to the race organizers to make a final call on.

-Shawn

Brandon Richards

Mar 16, 2011, 12:40:08 PM3/16/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
define "official"...  too official = not fun.

All you really need to know

1) Keep your car power to the motor at or under 36V DC
2) meet size requirements in the rulebook pdf
3) get a kill switch some kind
4) breaks are good to have
5) keep cost under $500
6) watch out for OCD PitRats, they are gonna be fast :)

-Brandon
OCD PitRats

Steve Lazenby

Mar 16, 2011, 12:42:49 PM3/16/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com
i for one would like a drag race and tractor pull challenges,

unoffically i wish there was a weight handicap, ie put lead weights on the small drivers so that i can drive :P

Trevyn Watson

Mar 16, 2011, 9:15:01 PM3/16/11
to power-rac...@googlegroups.com, Shawn Blaszak
Where was the requirement that the motor be DC? The rulebook just says "24 volts RMS maximum input to the motors".