'help wanted' tag

Dale Harvey

Aug 9, 2015, 8:30:40 AM8/9/15
to pou...@googlegroups.com
Hey

So on the back of https://medium.com/@kentcdodds/first-timers-only-78281ea47455 I figured it would be a good idea to do for pouchdb. We have done similiar with the 'help wanted' but I would prefer to go further.

Reviewing the current 'help wanted' issues, I dont think its a particularly good list for new contributors (https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22help+wanted%22). Some of these bugs a very in depth and require a good amount of previous knowledge of pouchdb and couchdb, some are fairly unclear about what we actually want to happen. That doesnt mean they arent bugs new contributors couldnt pick up, but I dont think they are distinct from the rest of the bugs, we want all of our bugs to be contributor friendly :)

So I think we should purge the 'help wanted' tag, and reserve it for bugs with an absolute clear fix, possibly with a test already provided (not certain whether this should be required or not yet) but certainly a set of clear steps from the very start to the bug being closed.

Hows that sound?
Cheers
Dale

Nolan Lawson

Aug 10, 2015, 10:57:34 AM8/10/15
to PouchDB
I'm fine with that. I've historically been a pretty bad judge of what is really a good "beginner" bug, but I think if we follow the steps in that blog post, we might have a better shot at luring in new contributors. :)

- Nolan

Dale Harvey

Aug 12, 2015, 1:41:22 PM8/12/15
to pou...@googlegroups.com
So made a start on this, I purged the current tag and started the first one @ https://github.com/pouchdb/pouchdb/issues/3883 and will get through a few more hopefully, I want to write a blog post about fixing a bug and use that to promote them.

As for what bugs should be tagged and not, I want to keep the tag only for bugs that are very clear what as to what the bug/issue is and what the fix looks like. It shouldnt require any previous PouchDB / CouchDB knowledge, it should be doable in around an hour.

We want contributions for all bugs and for them to be contributor friendly.  The tag is for bugs that are specifically chosen to be suitable with no previous experience. And after saying that, we should probably change the name back to 'goodfirstpatch' or 'first-timers-only', it was changed to 'help-wanted' to be compatible with a github project that didnt seem to happen and 'help-wanted' is a little presumptions / not very informative.