Fwd: [tt] [Open Manufacturing] FastForward Radio at 10:30pm EST tonight on abundance; Joseph Jackson & Paul Fernhout

1 view

Bryan Bishop

Aug 11, 2009, 10:52:51 AM8/11/09
to ExI chat list, World Transhumanist Association Discussion List, diybio, postsc...@googlegroups.com, Peer-To-Peer Research List
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org>
Date: Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM
Subject: [tt] [Open Manufacturing] FastForward Radio at 10:30pm EST
tonight on abundance; Joseph Jackson & Paul Fernhout
To: t...@postbiota.org

----- Forwarded message from "Paul D. Fernhout"
<pdfer...@kurtz-fernhout.com> -----

From: "Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfer...@kurtz-fernhout.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:42:44 -0400
To: Open Manufacturing <openmanu...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Open Manufacturing] FastForward Radio at 10:30pm EST tonight on
 abundance; Joseph Jackson & Paul Fernhout

At 10:30pm EST (7:30pm PST) tonight, Joseph Jackson and I will be talking
with other panelists on "FastForward Radio" about "The End of Scarcity and
the Age of Abundance" here:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/fastforwardradio
"""
What would life be like in a world without poverty? How about a world in
which everyone is, essentially, rich? The answer may be just around the
corner. Phil Bowermaster and Stephen Gordon welcome a panel of futurists to
discuss how the end of scarcity will revolutionize society, the economy, and
life as we know it.
"""

There usually is some sort of related chat or sometimes other callers.

Joseph is an old hand at this sort of thing and has been on the program
before, so he's the one to blame for getting me involved. :-)

I'm still not sure I should be crawling out of my email cave to do this, but
it sounded like fun at the time. :-)

It certainly has been a lot of fun to listen to previous episodes of that
show to prepare for being on it.

While time will be limited, I hope to bring up some of the themes we have
discussed here, including that technological humanism, transhumanism, and
the singularity are three different issues, even if overlapping and
interrelated. I've also been rereading parts of Paula Underwood's "The
Walking People" which is a written version of a Native American oral
history, and includes the story of how a community connected themselves
together using ropes to cross the Bering Straits, in such a way as so
individuals could still do things, and individuals still had local food and
water, but all benefited from the power of the group (some internet and open
manufacturing parallels there in relation to the singularity, I think. :-)

Anyway, I guess it is a first tentative step towards reaching an audience
with low literacy rates, as we discussed here earlier. :-)

If anyone has some important ideas in relation to open manufacturing I
should think about including, feel free to mention them in reply. I can't
promise any specific stuff will come up, depending on the flow of the
conversation, my memory on the spot, etc.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/

----- End forwarded message -----

- Bryan