AmaZine Food Fair THIS Saturday!

Portland Zine Symposium

Oct 30, 2013, 1:51:20 PM10/30/13
to portlandzi...@googlegroups.com

Happy Autumn, zinesters! We hope that you are staying cozy, enjoying the fall colors, and reading lots of zines!

Read on for upcoming events and other Portland Zine Symposium news!

In this newsletter:

1. AmaZine Food Fair - Nov. 2

2. Art Call

3. Open Meeting

4. Other Upcoming Events

1. AmaZine Food Fair

Come and fill up on wholesome independently published material with special food-zine pairings from veteran foodie zinesters. We are looking for multi-talented makers who can do food AND zines and want to share them with the community. The event will take place this Saturday, November 2nd at the IPRC.

The event will include a Zine Cafe and browsing area staffed by a PZS organizer where people can purchase zines. Zinesters who bring food to share get preferred seating, but all in the community are encouraged to participate and attend. We will also be hosting two holiday-related workshops, and we will feature food-related readings by Cathy Camper, Martha Grover, and more! The event is open to the public, but anyone wishing to table must pre-register at the IPRC or by emailing pdxz...@gmail.com.

We've made tabling really easy! First off, your table is free if you bring a potluck item! And second, you have options on how you'd like to do it:

1) If you only have a couple zines, you can put them on our communal table and we'll sell them for you! No need to sit at your table, you can enjoy yourself at the event and then collect money for anything that sells at the end. Food-themed zines encouraged, but not required. 1-3 title max.

2. Have your own slice of table! Spread out a little and show off what you got.

To sign up, just send an email before Nov. 2nd and let us know which option you'd like to take: joshuaj...@gmail.com

The event is free and open to the public!

Amazine Food & Zine Fair
November 2nd, 4-8p
@IPRC; 1001 SE Division St Ste 2

2. Art Call

The Portland Zine Symposium is looking for art submissions for our 2014 event! This year's theme is: Portland Zine Symposium 2014: Entry Points. Do you remember your first trip to Planet Zine? Our theme this year is a meditation on how we (zinesters) were introduced to zines for the very first time, with a space-age twist.

This year we're doing things slightly different; instead of requiring artists to create a full mock-up of the poster, we're soliciting sketches and concepts. You don't have to completely finish the poster, just show us something preliminary, and if the PZS organizers likes your idea, we'll choose you.

Read all the details here

3. Open Meeting

Are you interested in becoming more involved with the Portland Zine Symposium as an organizer, a volunteer, or an auxiliary helper? This event is a lot of work, and we need lots of help to make it happen! But that doesn't necessarily mean you have to commit to weekly meetings. Come to our open meeting at the Independent Publishing Resource Center on Nov. 21st at 7pm to find out what you can do for Portland Zine Symposium (and what PZS can do for you!)

4. Other Events:

Friday, Nov. 8, join Various Creative for their first group project - ONEAt the event, original creations from over two-dozen talented minds will decorate the walls as music booms, drinks are served and print editions of ONE become available for purchase. The event is being held at The Office of Information, 411 SE 6th St. in Portland, OR.

Short Run, a festival celebrating small press and self-publishing, is taking place in Seattle on Nov. 30!

Would you like to be included in our newsletter? Send your zine-related events to pdxz...@gmail.com, and we will list them in our monthly emails.