Current view of the Breadboard using v0.4 of the Schematic

Danny Collins

Dec 17, 2012, 4:36:10 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I've been following the whirlwind pace of this collaboration and I'm really trying to keep up :) I'm very new to hardware hacking and more than new to anything relating to audio. So, I ordered, and received today!, all of the parts listed for the v0.4 Schematic - http://www.grc.com/acoustics/Hush_Puppy_Dog_Whistle_Schematic.pdf - and was wondering if anyone else was successful in using this, as well as the Launchpad MSP430G2 chips? I'm trying to read through all of the posts and assemble the required knowledge to create this critter. And once I understand this - move onto the newer design and pick up and pieces that I'm missing.

Thanks
Danny

Steve Gibson

Dec 17, 2012, 5:14:53 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danny...

I'm so in love with computers and software and hardware and the merging of the two that I'm pretty certain we'll wind up using the MSP430 micro-controllers to CONTROL the oscillator in some fashion.  But the new "self-oscillating" design (which I'll be renaming a "High Power Oscillator") is SO far superior to the original that I really don't think it's worth your while to go there first.

I am still tweaking parts here ans there, but the ONLY real change from the v0.4 schematic is the ADDITION of ONE 47k ohm resistor from the junction of L2 and C3 to the gate of the MOSFET ... and you really ought to be able to find that resistor at any electronics store, like a "Radio Shack" if you have such around you.  I did also increase the value of the C2 (in your schematic) from 0.1uf to 0.33uf... so if you can find one of those, that would be better.  But it's a non-critical value.

Check out the LATEST schematic (Attached) and you'll see that VERY LITTLE has changed.

I believe that you'll get the chance to play with the micro-controller in due time... but this project veered where I never expected Friday and Saturday and we're a LOT better off!

/Steve.
TQC_v2.0.4.pdf
TQC_v2.0.4.png

Steve Gibson

Dec 17, 2012, 5:14:47 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
TQC_v2.0.4.pdf
TQC_v2.0.4.png

Danny Collins

Dec 17, 2012, 5:23:53 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Steve, I'll run to Radio Shack and get that resistor and see if I can make some noise :-)

This is an awesome project and I'm really looking forward to getting it to work.

Danny

Kindanyume

Dec 17, 2012, 5:36:13 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
Hey Steve,

your schematic is lacking wattage ratings again for parts like resistors :(

Best to state such to avoid issues for those building w/o digikey part #'s

Steve Gibson

Dec 17, 2012, 5:55:29 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com

your schematic is lacking wattage ratings again for parts like resistors :(

You mean where it says: 47k, 1/8W Carbon Film Resistor?

/Steve.

Kindanyume

Dec 17, 2012, 5:58:26 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
No... in the "picture" layout it lacks wattage ratings

Kindanyume

Dec 17, 2012, 6:00:02 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure someone somewhere will fail to check the PDF in addition to
the embedded image

Steve Gibson

Dec 17, 2012, 6:04:58 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
Right.

And it's a 1/8th watt resistor.  It's an ENTIRELY non-critical value.

No one could not POSSIBLY choose anything that would not work.

/Steve.

Steve Plegge

Dec 17, 2012, 6:06:17 PM12/17/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
I'd be careful with that. You may think it's idiot-proof, but there's a
lot of idiots out there...

Woof
--
On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog. [Dogs Rule!]

Kindanyume

Dec 18, 2012, 1:36:42 PM12/18/12
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
The moment we idiot proof the world the universe will invent a better idiot :P