Connecting inductors in serial

grebulon grebulonovich

Mar 8, 2013, 3:35:16 PM3/8/13
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
Hello
In theory, 1mH inductor is equivalent to 10 100uH inductors in connected serially.
In practice, are there any implications of using a configuration like this, such as different power consumption, accuracy, etc?
It's just that I don't have the right inductor in the garage...
Thanks
--grebulon

Kyle Smith

Mar 8, 2013, 7:26:09 PM3/8/13
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
I'm not certain which design version your working on.

As for resistance, at least one version was attempting to reduce the resistance of the inductor.  So you might check if your plans specify a coil of a particular resistance, and if so, it would simply be a matter of measuring the resistance of your ten serially connected coils.

As for power rating, the lowest rating in the series of inductors will be the overall rating.

As for tolerances, they are additive, which doesn't change the percent tolerance of the aggregate, if they all have the same percentage tolerance, so as long as the spec only states a percent tolerance, and your individual coils meet that spec, then so should the series of inductors.

As a matter of convenience in packaging up your contraption, a single inductor will prove to be much less problematic. I believe you can get the specified coils in units of 1 ea, so it wouldn't cost much at all to stay with the parts listed on the BOM, unless you can't get them from your location.

I'm answering out of courtesy, as this group has become rather less active, as of late.  I have not built any of the various versions, so you may wish to wait until someone with experience with your particular version comes back to you.  To that end, it would help if you mentioned the version of plans on which you are basing your fabrication.

Best wishes,

--
Kyle Smith, MS, MD (retired)