Re: [PSB] Digest for portable-sound-blaster@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Tony Stewart

Apr 26, 2013, 9:23:31 AM4/26/13
to portable-so...@googlegroups.com
Dogs are pampered and their only purpose in life is to serve & protect you. They can bark before the doorbell is rung and with any quiet sound whereas, familiar loud sounds are often ignored.  Dogs can also be easily trained with  food and click sound training tools.  Perhaps a modulated ultrasonic tone with the the voice “Quiet” at the same time for training and then just the emitter later for reinforcement assures the dog their alert has been heard and the warning acknowledged.

After all, just as in humans, we all just want to be acknowledged for our skills, then we go quietly on our way.

try 18~22KHz AM and FM modulated with 4KHz bandwidth full amplitude assertive voice. Voices can be recorded into answering machine chip.

implementation:

Varicap to tune 20KHz VCO and analog diode ring modulator for AM using electret mic recording into cheap voice chip recorder.  Output into class D 50W amplifier that is the carrier at 20KHz and driving an efficient impedance-matched piezo-resonant element ought to scare any untrained dog to learn respect from their pseudo-master (neighbour) except,  those well trained to attack threats. On the other hand quiet mysterious noises can scare dogs and people too. ( get Halloween sound effects)

But in Toronto, all you need to do is call the SPCA and that owner will be fined over $1k for continued dog disturbances. the 2 warnings are given by a “stun gun armed” “bullet-proof  vest-protected”  Provincial Offences Officer ( who will make your dog bark  a lot just by his appearance at the front door) as he hands out the anonymous complaint.

So solution #2 is call the SPCA.  Your mileage may vary in your community.

SUMMARY Solution #1
AM-FM class D 20KHz 50KHz with noise modulation from answering machine voice chip.
fixed tone can be louder at resonance if you’re under-powered.

Tony  Stewart
EE since 1975.

I've researched sound frequency and hearing ranges in dogs and have found a
study that the frequency hearing ranges of dogs very quite a bit by breed
so maybe this is why some of these devices work better for some more than
others.
  in the area...

Ted