Lack of decent router for Polymer projects.

Kevin Sheppard

Sep 19, 2017, 11:12:00 AM9/19/17
to Polymer
I'm working on a project right now that is predominantly client side and as such, requires some decent routing. By decent, I mean I need something that goes beyond matching a URL pattern and switching out a view in iron-pages -- I'm looking for "middleware" functions, routing life cycle hooks etc. something like https://router.vuejs.org albeit packaged as web components. I was surprised to see that none of this exists in Polymer as part of the PolymerElements catalog.

As an alternative, I've started looking at visionmedia/page.js and Rich-Harris/roadtrip but both, though well fitting, seem to bee in maintenance limbo. Now, while camelaissani/frontexpress and riot/route look promising my real question is - why isn't there a native, well featured router for Polymer? Is creating such a module on the roadmap for 3.x?

Gray Norton

Sep 19, 2017, 12:53:31 PM9/19/17
to Kevin Sheppard, Polymer
As it happens, we are taking a fresh look at routing for some work that will land in the 3.x timeframe. It's not yet clear exactly what shape this work will take (i.e., whether it will result in our shipping a full-featured router), but your input is definitely welcomed. If there's anything you'd like to add to your list of requirements / priorities or any additional detail you'd like to share, please do!

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 8:12 AM Kevin Sheppard <ksh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm working on a project right now that is predominantly client side and as such, requires some decent routing. By decent, I mean I need something that goes beyond matching a URL pattern and switching out a view in iron-pages -- I'm looking for "middleware" functions, routing life cycle hooks etc. something like https://router.vuejs.org albeit packaged as web components. I was surprised to see that none of this exists in Polymer as part of the PolymerElements catalog.

As an alternative, I've started looking at visionmedia/page.js and Rich-Harris/roadtrip but both, though well fitting, seem to bee in maintenance limbo. Now, while camelaissani/frontexpress and riot/route look promising my real question is - why isn't there a native, well featured router for Polymer? Is creating such a module on the roadmap for 3.x?

Follow Polymer on Google+: plus.google.com/107187849809354688692
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Polymer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/6c30baf7-b693-49fb-80a1-d8daf9a34174%40googlegroups.com.

Kevin Sheppard

Sep 19, 2017, 4:16:33 PM9/19/17
to Polymer
I'm very glad to know this is being given some consideration for 3.x I will update this thread periodically with suggestions or features I think my be useful.