Good suggestion for a lightweight rich text editor for polymer?

Carl Youngblood

Nov 12, 2014, 11:04:51 AM11/12/14
to polym...@googlegroups.com
We would like a very minimalistic rich text editor for a polymer-based app. TinyMCE doesn't work with shadow DOM. Aloha editor looks good but is pretty heavyweight (144K plus 80K for JQuery). Any suggestions? All we want is basically bold, italics and links. Maybe indented quotations.

Thanks,
Carl

Scott Miles

Nov 12, 2014, 12:35:42 PM11/12/14
to Carl Youngblood, polymer-dev

Follow Polymer on Google+: plus.google.com/107187849809354688692
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Polymer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/59cf9bb5-62a2-43ef-96c6-1daa78ced050%40googlegroups.com.

Carl Youngblood

Nov 12, 2014, 3:14:57 PM11/12/14
to polym...@googlegroups.com, carl.yo...@gmail.com
Both of these are source code editors, not rich-text editors.

Sébastien Cevey

Nov 12, 2014, 4:26:37 PM11/12/14
to Carl Youngblood, polym...@googlegroups.com
Hello Carl,

We built our own RTE at the Guardian to use as part of our editorial tools, partly because as you pointed out existing solutions tend not to be particularly extensible or lightweight.

It's open source and available at:

The minimised core (without plugins) is 38KB, with no dependency on jQuery or other libraries. It's used in production in the new Guardian CMS.

I actually tried to turn it into a Web Component, but that was literally the work of an hour or two during a Web Components workshop in London, so the code is fairly rubbish and hacky. Basically it proves that it's possible, but I would try and rewrite it cleanly from scratch if I wanted to go further:

There are some interesting challenges around how to coordinate multiple elements that form a whole (e.g. the editor + the toolbar buttons). We struggled with that in our AngularJS implementation as well, but I still believe it's all doable.

Would love to hear if you're interested and have a go at making it a Web Component, I'm sure a lot of people could find a use for it!

Feel free to ask any questions by email or even better, via the Github issue tracker.

Best,

Sébastien Cevey
Software Developer

Visit theguardian.com. On your mobile and tablet, download the Guardian iPhone and Android apps theguardian.com/guardianapp and our tablet editions theguardian.com/editions.  Save up to 57% by subscribing to the Guardian and Observer - choose the papers you want and get full digital access.  Visit subscribe.theguardian.com

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately. Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.  Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited is a member of Guardian Media Group plc. Registered Office: PO Box 68164, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1P 2AP.  Registered in England Number 908396

Carl Youngblood

Nov 14, 2014, 5:39:01 PM11/14/14
to Sébastien Cevey, polym...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sebastien, looks good. I'll definitely share any component that I end up making with it.

tda...@ourfuture.org

Aug 17, 2015, 12:57:46 PM8/17/15
to Polymer, seb....@guardian.co.uk
Did anyone ever make this work?

I can't get the "polymer-tinymce" component to work for me.

saych...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2016, 9:41:31 AM6/7/16
to Polymer, seb....@guardian.co.uk

may use QuillJS, using polymer for dom-module template (Attachment below). If interested, i may put into github for bower install the web-component :)

Hope helps,
SC
13416847_10208569772633872_7999332098930036390_o.jpg
Message has been deleted

C Mcc

Jun 16, 2016, 1:08:24 PM6/16/16
to Polymer, seb....@guardian.co.uk, saych...@gmail.com
... re-posting without all the blurb. sorry!

SC,
I'd be interested to see this quilljs polymer element on github. Does it work with version 1.0 beta of quilljs?
Thanks