Migration?

Torean Joel

Jul 27, 2015, 11:38:26 AM7/27/15
to polym...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I know you busy and I just have 1 question, should I stick with version 0.5 or you think its best to migrate to version 1.0 as I have an old app that I put off and while working on it I saw I had quite a bit of things already done.

What do you think, stay or migrate and are there any repercussions of staying?

Regards
Torean Joel

rictic

Jul 27, 2015, 7:57:14 PM7/27/15
to Polymer, torea...@gmail.com
I'd definitely recommend migrating. 1.0 is much faster, it's being actively maintained, and we're adding new elements, features, and bugfixes every week.

The migration guide is super useful here: https://www.polymer-project.org/1.0/docs/migration.html

As well, I've been working on a tool named polyup that will do some of the migration steps automatically. Check it out: http://polymerlabs.github.io/polyup/

Bob Lasch

Jul 28, 2015, 9:13:42 AM7/28/15
to rictic, Polymer, torea...@gmail.com
I'll offer a different perspective, one from the frontline so to speak.  I've been working on upgrading my app for a while now.  I would recommend you do upgrade, but you need to make sure you have the time.  It's a bit of a learning curve, so take that into account.  The migration guide is helpful, but it doesn't cover all of the gotchas you'll hit.  And there are some changes that will make you scratch your head (changing the order of the arguments for property change observers for one).  The new 1.0 version is much faster. BUT the upgrade is anything but trivial.  And depending on your application, it could take some serious time.  So from a performance standpoint I'm glad to be upgrading, but the process has been way more painful than I initially thought.

Your mileage may vary.

Bob

Follow Polymer on Google+: plus.google.com/107187849809354688692
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Polymer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/919638f1-4cc2-460a-a5fd-334778d12192%40googlegroups.com.

Torean Joel

Jul 28, 2015, 10:20:49 AM7/28/15
to Bob Lasch, polym...@googlegroups.com, rictic

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input as well, The main reason for asking was because I started building a data managing application for companies to manage paper work and would work well with medical companies or smaller companies that want to keep things organised and also have features like mailing to users and signing work and tracking progress and the whole import and export thing and it got bigger than I expected while building (I did everything on my own) - and because of work I had to put it on hold. When I got back it noticed the polymer updates and although I was following the blogs and YouTube subscriptions on the updates, I saw its not going to be an overnight thing. Most of this things I still need implement now but I was put on hold because of the migration

I guess If I really want to use this and if I want to be safe and be sure to always have support from the community then I best go through it. No-one ever said they made a mistake when making sure their apps were future proof.

Ill keep you posted but good luck on your adventure too man - all the best!

Regards

Bob Lasch

Jul 28, 2015, 2:17:29 PM7/28/15
to Torean Joel, polym...@googlegroups.com, rictic
Hi Torean,

You are basically where I was before I started.  My day job is not working on my Polymer app (although my hope is for it to be some day).  Not being able to get the time in on it full time makes it harder with the migration.  If your site isn't fully completed, than I would probably make the leap and go through the migration now for sure.  Continuing down the path of completing your site with v0.5 is only going to give you more pain later.  Just keep in mind that it's going to take you some time.  I was hoping it would be a week or two of part time work, but it's been much more than that.  I clearly didn't set correct expectations for myself.

Good luck on the migration Torean!

- Bob

Justin Fagnani

Jul 28, 2015, 2:32:35 PM7/28/15
to Bob Lasch, Torean Joel, polymer-dev, rictic
Bob have you tried polyup? It does a pretty good job on migrating elements. Any places it doesn't hit would be great feedback for Peter.

Cheers,
  Justin

Bob Lasch

Jul 28, 2015, 2:40:50 PM7/28/15
to Justin Fagnani, Torean Joel, polymer-dev, rictic
Hi Justin,

I haven't looked at it yet.  And unfortunately, I'm too far along the path to back track and try it I think.

*goes off and googles polyup*

And after googling it and reading a bit about it right now, I'm not sure if it would work that well for me.  All of my components are not in HTML and Javascript but instead HAML and Coffeescript.  I guess I could convert them back and forth, but that seems less than favorable.

Thanks,
Bob