Migration path out of Polymer 1.0 with Bootstrap?

Egor Egorov

Sep 22, 2017, 7:49:15 PM9/22/17
to Polymer
Hello.

We are running a huge enterprise application written with Polymer 1.0 and Bootstrap. Now what we face is a bit of devastating: 1.0 is going to stop working around Chrome 63 and 2.0 flat-out ignores virtually all of the javascript libraries in existence, hence no Bootstrap on Polymer 2.0. As much as we love Polymer 1.0, we have found no way to integrate existing JS libraries we use with the 2.0.

What would be a good migration path for a Polymer 1.0 application?

Karl Tiedt

Sep 22, 2017, 8:01:06 PM9/22/17
to Egor Egorov, Polymer
Please elaborate on this, " and 2.0 flat-out ignores virtually all of the javascript libraries in existence"... I worked with many 3rd party libraries and so have many people... In fact you can find these integrations on GitHub and the web components website...

Follow Polymer on Google+: plus.google.com/107187849809354688692
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Polymer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/78829894-3022-417b-9624-e3cd1c02656c%40googlegroups.com.

Egor Egorov

Sep 22, 2017, 8:04:48 PM9/22/17
to Polymer

See https://groups.google.com/d/msg/polymer-dev/vB7upjV_z7s/5Hk9BJFTAAAJ - no replies. No one uses Bootstrap with Polymer?

Am I right assuming that basically anything jQuery-based is a no go?

On Sep 22, 2017 18:49, "Egor Egorov" <egor....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello.

We are running a huge enterprise application written with Polymer 1.0 and Bootstrap. Now what we face is a bit of devastating: 1.0 is going to stop working around Chrome 63 and 2.0 flat-out ignores virtually all of the javascript libraries in existence, hence no Bootstrap on Polymer 2.0. As much as we love Polymer 1.0, we have found no way to integrate existing JS libraries we use with the 2.0.

What would be a good migration path for a Polymer 1.0 application?

Follow Polymer on Google+: plus.google.com/107187849809354688692
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Polymer" group.

Karl Tiedt

Sep 22, 2017, 8:17:11 PM9/22/17
to Egor Egorov, Polymer
The problem isnt Javascript, the problem is CSS and relying on overly general CSS selectors... You've still failed to elaborate on this extremely flamboyant claim of "flat out ignores virtually all  of the Javascript libraries in existence". 1 question about 1 library is not cause for such an alarmist response. It is also worth noting that the problem isnt Polymer 0.5, 0.8, 1.x, 2.x or even 3.x, this is the nature of Web Components.

Rob Dodson wrote a pretty good explanation surrounding jQuery plugins that explains my first statement - http://robdodson.me/dont-use-jquery-with-shadow-dom/

-Karl Tiedt

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/edac8597-c940-4abf-9e19-e5adcab1bde7%40googlegroups.com.

Arthur Evans

Sep 22, 2017, 8:52:41 PM9/22/17
to Egor Egorov, Polymer
Hi Egor,

I'm not sure what you mean about 1.0 not working with Chrome 63. The only change I see in Chrome 63 that might affect Polymer apps is that the /deep/ combinator will no longer pierce shadow trees. Which will affect people who are using native shadow DOM on Chrome with 1.0; but if you're using Bootstrap with Polymer, in all probability you are *not* using native shadow DOM, and this shouldn't affect you. All of YouTube's new UI (to name just one site) is running Polymer 1.x, and you can be pretty sure that Chrome is not going to roll out a change that breaks YouTube.

As for 2.0, the difference here—since bootstrap-type global CSS selectors won't work with either v0 or v1 shadow DOM—is that 2.0 uses native shadow DOM by default. You can get around that by forcing the shady DOM polyfills to run even on browsers with native shadow DOM. Of course, it won't be as performant as native shadow DOM.

Thanks,
Arthur

Egor Egorov

Sep 26, 2017, 6:42:04 AM9/26/17
to Polymer

Well now I feel ashamed of my harsh words; should have thought twice before posting. I apologize for that.

I have read the blog post you are ref to, doesn't help.  Arthure suggests below to force polyfills  to make it work; this I will try and see if that helps.

-Karl Tiedt

Egor Egorov

Sep 26, 2017, 6:42:57 AM9/26/17
to Polymer