Contributing To polymer

vladimi...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2016, 1:06:43 PM7/11/16
to Polymer
Hello,

It's been almost a month since I've opened 2 pull requests, they have been completely ignored, I have not received a single comment related to the state of my pull requests.

I find this very discouraging and doubt many developers would want to contribute to polymer if their respective pull requests/contributions are treated in a similar manner.

Thank you.

Karl Tiedt

Jul 11, 2016, 1:40:04 PM7/11/16
to vladimi...@gmail.com, Polymer
This isn't an uncommon problem with any Open Source project... however, your email really does nothing to help resolve your concerns... If I were to look at only the information provided here in this email, I would be forced to assume that your Pull Requests contain a similar lack of information and that *may* be why they have not received more visible attention. However, let us assume that is not the case and look a little closer, just at this email.

If you are going to voice concern over a problem relating to two very specific things (your PRs in this case), you should provide context for those things so that your email has a snowball's chance in hell of eliciting a positive change. Currently what we (the community know) is equivalent to a bad bug report "It broke". However, if you provide the information related to those PRs, like do they address open bugs or were they just PR's you felt were needed? You'll get a lot farther when this information is readily available to those you are seeking to prod into action.

-Karl Tiedt

Follow Polymer on Google+: plus.google.com/107187849809354688692
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Polymer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/940c3e70-c5e6-4277-9c42-29a12b62c8cd%40googlegroups.com.

vladimi...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2016, 3:01:27 PM7/11/16
to Polymer, vladimi...@gmail.com
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

These are the two pull requests I have made, they allow to position the label on the left side of a checkbox/toggle-button.

As for your other question, they are PR that I felt were needed, but I have created an issue as that's what I understood must be done related to the contribution guide document.
This feature is something I have a need for and googling gave me no clean answer for polymer yet there are some questions on stackoverflow on how to do this with other frameworks/widget libraries/etc.

I have read the contribution guide and tried to respect it as much as I could. I have made an issue related to the pull request, even made tests.

I would appreciate some feedback, currently I am completely unaware of the state of those pull requests. Are they deliberately ignored? Is the feature not needed? It doesn't respect the contribution guide/code style/variable naming/etc; Maybe it hasn't even been looked at yet, but still I would greatly appreciate some feedback, a comment stating the state it is in,  instead of just silence.

Thank you

Karl Tiedt

Jul 11, 2016, 4:33:10 PM7/11/16
to vladimi...@gmail.com, Polymer
Thanks for the additional information, I'll see if I can prod a couple people into responding, it does appear that you have done everything correct on your side regarding opening an issue and a PR. I can't look at the code right now (nor could I approve it) but, hopefully someone from the Polymer Team can get back to you soon via Github.

-Karl Tiedt

Vladimir Iftodi

Jul 11, 2016, 5:04:40 PM7/11/16
to Karl Tiedt, Polymer
Awesome.

Thank you very much.

Tomek W

Jul 21, 2016, 10:31:43 AM7/21/16
to Polymer, kti...@gmail.com, vladimi...@gmail.com
Thanks Vladimir for starting this topic,

Karl Could you poke someone for me as well? ;)

Here is the small list of PRs I have made

- Polymer: Set latest firefox addon for testing
 PR https://github.com/Polymer/polymer/pull/3761
 issue https://github.com/Polymer/polymer/issues/3760

I feel it is needed, as Polymer is being tested on outdated version

I have created an issue, signed the CLA, and believe that extremely simple one to review and merge.

- WebComponentsJS: Execute onload callback for empty resources
 PR https://github.com/webcomponents/webcomponentsjs/pull/536
 issue https://github.com/webcomponents/webcomponentsjs/issues/535

I feel it's needed as polyfill different than to spec and native browser
CLA, issue and tests ar in place

- PolymerElements/iron-component-page: master branch is hard-coded
 Issue https://github.com/PolymerElements/iron-component-page/issues/101
 PR https://github.com/PolymerElements/iron-component-page/pull/102

There is also another issue that popped out that would be fixed by my PR https://github.com/PolymerElements/iron-component-page/issues/44

I really try to respect contribution as much as I can

As Vladimir, I would also appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Tomek Wytrębowicz

Karl Tiedt

Jul 21, 2016, 1:41:44 PM7/21/16
to Tomek W, Polymer, Vladimir Iftodi
Tomek,

It looks like AJ (@garlicnation) grabbed one of issues recently (12 days ago), but seeing as there are quite a few issues and PR's here that are close to or above a month I have reached out to Taylor about these and about discussing a process to better address future issues and PRs in a more efficient manner. Can't make any promises but, I'll see what comes of it.

-Karl Tiedt
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted