Everyone needs to speak up or we will lose precious public spaces.

ImStillMags Mags

May 6, 2017, 1:20:15 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia

Every one of us will need to comment to keep our public lands, public.

On this list are some of the most beautiful places in the west and the nation. These are legacy lands - the ones our great grandchildren will take their children to share their pride in America.

Let's not sell our future.

Irie

May 6, 2017, 1:36:57 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
Unless you are in Berkely...then you get the shit kicked out of you if you dare speak against the alt-left state.

rivcuban

May 6, 2017, 3:20:20 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
I agree 100% mags.  Destroying precious lands is forever.

ImStillMags Mags

May 6, 2017, 3:22:23 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
way to throw shit deflection into a thread.....

plainolamerican

May 6, 2017, 3:46:20 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
imo ... they should start with the Washington and Lincoln Monuments first.

Xtal97

May 6, 2017, 3:56:46 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
Maybe I'm missing something BUT what does an Interior Department press release requesting public comment on expansion of the National Monuments registry have to do with speaking out about losing "public spaces?" If anything the Interior Department is going to increase the size of public lands and secure new public lands.

ImStillMags Mags

May 6, 2017, 4:12:04 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia

Justice

May 6, 2017, 4:47:27 PM5/6/17
to political...@googlegroups.com
He's on a hate tear to destroy everything obama did while in office. It's the most vindictive, vengeful, destructive presidency ever.

Perhaps people felt this way about A Johnson, but I didn't live back then, so I'm not positive if anyone got how destructive his presidency was since the whole country was at least as racist as it is now.

What's being done now is an attack on his entire presidency and every democrat in the country. Do republicans care about our public lands? Healthcare for the poor and middle class? Russian involvement in our elections? Globalization? Tariff wars with Canada and Mexico? DACA children and their parents? Science? The planet? Clean water? Protection of people and their children who have been poisoned?

Lobo

May 6, 2017, 4:50:07 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
<<Maybe I'm missing something BUT what does an Interior Department press release requesting public comment on expansion of the National Monuments registry have to do with speaking out about losing "public spaces?"  If anything the Interior Department is going to increase the size of public lands and secure new public lands.>>

Yes, you're missing everything. This isn't about "expansion" of the National Monuments registry in any present or future tense. but about reversing all of the protection designations made by presidents Clinton, George W Bush and Obama since 1996, and allowing the monuments to be drilled, mined, developed or otherwise exploited by big moneyed special interests.

27 monuments ID’d for possible end to protections

Matthew Daly, Associated Press6:37 p.m. ET May 5, 2017

All National Monuments Designated Under the Antiquities Act

April 26, 2017 NRDC
Grand Staircase-Escalante

Bob Wick/BLM

The designation of a national monument is a recognition of the space’s contribution to America’s heritage, whether through its rich natural beauty or the role it’s played in our developing national story. Nearly every president since Theodore Roosevelt has made use of his Antiquities Act authority to create monuments. And together, they’ve woven a colorful fabric representing America. To remove any thread would be a travesty.

Barack Obama (2009 – 2017)

Birmingham Civil Rights

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2017
LOCATION: Alabama
FINAL ACREAGE: Nine-tenths of an acre

Freedom Riders

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2017
LOCATION: Alabama
FINAL ACREAGE: 6

Reconstruction Era

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2017
LOCATION: South Carolina
FINAL ACREAGE: 16

Mojave Trails

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2016
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 1.6 million

Sand to Snow

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2016
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 154,000

Castle Mountain

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2016
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 20,920

Belmont-Paul Women's Equality

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2016
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
FINAL ACREAGE: One-third of an acre

Stonewall

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2016
LOCATION: New York
FINAL ACREAGE: One-tenth of an acre

Katahdin Woods and Waters

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2016
LOCATION: Maine
FINAL ACREAGE: 87,563

Northeast Canyons and Seamounts

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2016
LOCATION: Massachusetts
FINAL AREA: 4,913 square miles

Bears Ears National

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2016
LOCATION: Utah
FINAL ACREAGE: 1.35 million

Honouliuli

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2015
LOCATION: Hawaii
FINAL ACREAGE: 123

Pullman

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2015
LOCATION: Illinois
FINAL ACREAGE: One-quarter acres

Browns Canyon

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2015
LOCATION: New Mexico
FINAL ACREAGE: 21,586

Berryessa Snow Mountain

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2015
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 330,780

Waco Mammoth

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2015
LOCATION: Texas
FINAL ACREAGE: 7.11

Basin and Range

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2015
LOCATION: Nevada
FINAL ACREAGE: 704,000

Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2014
LOCATION: New Mexico
FINAL ACREAGE: 496,330

San Gabriel Mountains

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2014
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 346,177

San Juan Islands

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2013
LOCATION: Washington
FINAL ACREAGE: 970

Rio Grande del Norte

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2013
LOCATION: New Mexico
FINAL ACREAGE: 242,555

Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2013
LOCATION: Maryland
FINAL ACREAGE: 11,750
480 acres were redesignated a National Historic Park

First State

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2013
LOCATION: Delaware
FINAL ACREAGE: 1,108
Redesignated as a National Historic Park

Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2013
LOCATION: Ohio
FINAL ACREAGE: 5,965

Fort Ord

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2012
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 14,651

Chimney Rock

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2012
LOCATION: Colorado
FINAL ACREAGE: 4,726

Ceasar Chavez

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2012
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 10.5

Fort Monroe

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2011
LOCATION: Virginia
FINAL ACREAGE: 325.21

George W. Bush (2001 – 2009)

Rose Atoll

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2009
LOCATION: American Samoa
FINAL AREA: 13,451 square miles

Pacific Remote Islands

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2009
LOCATION: Hawaii
FINAL AREA: 495,189 square miles

Marianas Trench

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2009
LOCATION: Northern Mariana Islands and Guam
FINAL AREA: 95,216 square miles

WWII Valor in the Pacific

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2008
LOCATION: Hawaii
FINAL AREA: 6,310 square miles

African Burial Ground

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2006
LOCATION: New York
FINAL ACREAGE: One-third acre

Northwestern Hawaiian Islands

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2006
LOCATION: Hawaii
FINAL AREA: 582,781 square miles
Renamed Papahanamokuakea by G.W. Bush

William J. Clinton (1993 – 2001)

Carrizo Plain

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2001
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 204,107

Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2001
LOCATION: New Mexico
FINAL ACREAGE: 4,148

Minidoka Internment

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2001
LOCATION: Idaho
FINAL ACREAGE: 72.75

Pompeys Pillar

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2001
LOCATION: Montana
FINAL ACREAGE: 51

Sonoran Desert

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2001
LOCATION: Arizona
FINAL ACREAGE: 486,149

Upper Missouri River Breaks

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2001
LOCATION: Montana
FINAL ACREAGE: 377,346

Virgin Islands Coral Reef

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2001
LOCATION: Virgin Islands
FINAL ACREAGE: 12,708

Governors Island

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2001
LOCATION: New York
FINAL ACREAGE: 22

Agua Fria

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: Arizona
FINAL ACREAGE: 71,100

California Coastal

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 8,778

Grand Canyon-Parashant

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: Arizona
FINAL ACREAGE: 1 million

Giant Sequoia

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: California
FINAL ACREAGE: 327,769

Canyons of the Ancients

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: Colorado
FINAL ACREAGE: 164,000

Cascade-Siskiyou

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: Oregon/California
FINAL ACREAGE: 100,000

Hanford Reach

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: Washington
FINAL ACREAGE: 195,000

Ironwood Forest

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: Arizona
FINAL ACREAGE: 128,917

President Lincoln and Soldier's Home

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
FINAL ACREAGE: 2.3

Vermillion Cliffs

DESIGNATION YEAR: 2000
LOCATION: Arizona
FINAL ACREAGE: 293,000

Grand Staircase-Escalante

DESIGNATION YEAR: 1996
LOCATION: Utah
FINAL ACREAGE: 1.7 million

Jimmy Carter (1977 – 1981)

Lyndon B. Johnson (1963 – 1969)

John F. Kennedy (1961 – 1963)

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953 – 1961)

Harry S. Truman (1945 – 1953)

Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933 – 1945)

Herbert Hoover (1929 – 1933)

Calvin Coolidge (1923 – 1929)

Warren G. Harding (1921 – 1923)

Woodrow Wilson (1913 – 1921)

William Howard Taft (1909 – 1913)

Theodore Roosevelt (1901 – 1909)

Lobo

May 6, 2017, 5:15:47 PM5/6/17
to political...@googlegroups.com
<<He's on a hate tear to destroy everything obama did while in office. It's the most vindictive, vengeful, destructive presidency ever.>>

As a rule, Republicans just don't give a shit about the environment, and the few who do generally oppose having government do anything to protect it. But Trump is the most extreme anti-environmental president ever. Even George W Bush designated new protected lands and endangered species.

In the case of our vanishing wilderness and monument lands, never forget that Donald Trump has been a developer all his life, and as such tends to see the environment as nothing more than some liberal nonsense that gets between him and a buck. To a mindset like his, land only exists to be developed or otherwise exploited (just think of the beautiful Trump Luxury Golf Resort that could be built in Bears Ear National Monument if not for those damn enviro wackos!). To not develop, timber, drill, mine, ranch or otherwise exploit any tract of land is to "let it go to waste".

Which is why he has appointed the most radical anti-Earth extremists he can find to every possible Cabinet or sub-Cabinet post in his administration connected in any way to stewardship of the environment; extreme ideologues and industry shills who make Reagan's Interior Secretary James Watt seem like a tree-hugging nature-lover by comparison.

Bears Ears National Monument, designated just last year, is one of the many areas of public land that may be marked for transfer or sale in a new bill in Congress
Bears Ears National Monument, designated just last year, is one of the many areas of public land that may be marked for transfer or sale under a new bill in Congress. Photograph: Vince Bradley

Lobo

May 6, 2017, 5:49:39 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
<<Maybe I'm missing something BUT what does an Interior Department press release requesting public comment on expansion of the National Monuments registry have to do with speaking out about losing "public spaces?"  If anything the Interior Department is going to increase the size of public lands and secure new public lands.>>

Protections for 27 national monuments may be curtailed, cut

FILE - This June 22, 2016, file photo, shows the "House on Fire" ruins in Mule Canyon, near Blanding, Utah. The Interior Department has released a list of 27 national monuments it is reviewing under a presidential order, including Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante in Utah and Katahdin Woods and Waters in Maine. A list released Friday, May 5, 2017, includes 22 monuments on federal land in 11 states and five marine monuments in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The review includes a huge reserve in Hawaii established in 2006 and expanded by President Barack Obama. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File )Twenty-seven national monuments, mostly in the West, face the curtailing or elimination of protections put in place over the past two decades by presidents from both parties, the Interior Department said.President Donald Trump ordered the review last month, saying protections imposed by his three immediate predecessors amounted to "a massive federal land grab" that "should never have happened."

A list released Friday includes 22 monuments on federal land in 11, mostly Western states, including Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante in Utah, Nevada's Basin and Range and Katahdin Woods and Waters in Maine.

The review also targets five marine monuments in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, including a huge reserve in Hawaii established in 2006 by President George W. Bush and expanded last year by President Barack Obama.

Bush, Obama and Bill Clinton were among a host of presidents who protected hundreds of millions of acres under a 1906 law that authorizes the president to declare federal lands and waters as monuments and restrict their use.

Trump said the protections imposed by his predecessors "unilaterally put millions of acres of land and water under strict federal control, eliminating the ability of the people who actually live in those states to decide how best to use that land."

The land-controls have "gotten worse and worse and worse, and now we're going to free it up, which is what should have happened in the first place," Trump said at a signing ceremony marking the executive order.

Trump accused Obama in particular of exploiting the 1906 Antiquities Act in an "egregious abuse of federal power," adding that he was giving power "back to the states and to the people, where it belongs."

In December, shortly before leaving office, Obama infuriated Utah Republicans by creating the Bears Ears National Monument on more than 1 million acres of land that's sacred to Native Americans and home to tens of thousands of archaeological sites, including ancient cliff dwellings.

Republicans in the state asked Trump to take the unusual step of reversing Obama's decision. They said the monument designation will stymie growth by closing the area to new commercial and energy development. The Antiquities Act does not give the president explicit power to undo a designation and no president has ever taken such a step.

Trump's order also targets the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in Utah, created by Clinton in 1996, and Katahdin Woods and Waters in Maine, created last year by Obama. At 87,500 acres, Katahdin is the only one of the 22 monuments under review that is smaller than 100,000 acres, the minimum size designated by the order.

The Interior Department said Katahdin will be reviewed under a provision that singles out whether a monument was created or expanded without adequate public outreach and coordination with relevant stakeholders. The land east of Maine's Baxter State Park was bought by Burt's Bees co-founder Roxanne Quimby, whose foundation donated it to the federal government.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has been directed to produce an interim report next month and make a recommendation on Bears Ears, and then issue a final report within 120 days.

Zinke, who will visit Bears Ears and Grand Staircase early this coming week, said the department, for the first time, is seeking public comments on national monument designations. Public comment is not required when presidents create monuments under the Antiquities Act.

The request for comments "finally gives a voice to local communities and states when it comes to Antiquities Act monument designations," Zinke said in a statement."There is no predetermined outcome on any monument."

But environmental groups said the Trump administration appears intent on lifting protections for federal lands.

"Trump wants to carve up this beautiful country into as many corporate giveaways for the oil and gas industry as possible," Travis Nichols of Greenpeace USA said.

He urged the public to "resist the latest in a trend of senseless rollbacks by the Trump White House and demand the Interior Department protect the land and water for people in their states and across the country."

Members of a coalition of five Western tribes that pushed for the Bears Ears designation have said they're outraged the administration will review a decision they say was already scrutinized by the Obama administration, including a multi-day visit last year by then-Interior Secretary Sally Jewell.

"Once it's designated, it's designated," said Davis Filfred of the Navajo Nation. Trump "should just honor our past leaders and those who were before him. He's disregarding the Native Americans, the first people of this nation. This is sacred land."

___

Online:

Interior Department: www.doi.gov

Lobo

May 6, 2017, 6:06:38 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
Just three of the more recent National Monuments Trump wants to turn over to developers (including himself), drillers, miners, and timber and ranching interests.

You ought to google down the list on Images to see what will be gone soon, thanks to the Asswipe In Chief

Related image
Image result for Grand Staircase-Escalante

Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, Utah.

Image result for Giant Sequoia National Monument,
Image result for Giant Sequoia National Monument,

Giant Sequoia National Monument, California

Image result for Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, Colorado
Image result for Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, Colorado

Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, Colorado

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

rivcuban

May 6, 2017, 6:06:49 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
That's all we need is oil rigs in the Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands. Republicans make me sick.

Lobo

May 6, 2017, 6:15:51 PM5/6/17
to Political Euwetopia
<<Republicans make me sick.>>

They're determined to make everyone sick. Literally. Even the ones who support their anti-environment policies.

It isn't just gorgeous natural landscapes and ancient archaeological sites they want to destroy. They're just as adamant that big polluters be given a free hand to dump however much of whatever they want in our water, land and air. What one Republican congressman actually called "the God-given right to pollute".