MI Today: Struggling Suburbs Should Merge, Child Poverty's Hidden Driver, and More

Manhattan Institute

Oct 31, 2017, 9:13:22 AM10/31/17
to policyp...@gmail.com
Merging with big cities is an option that needs to be on the table. Immigration has a lot to do with U.S. child-poverty rates.
 October 31, 2017

URBAN POLICY

Struggling Suburb? Merge It With the Big City Next Door.

It wouldn’t be a panacea, but it’s an option that needs to be on the table.
By Aaron M. Renn
Governing
November 2017 Issue
Based on a recent report

IMMIGRATION

The Hidden Driver of High U.S. Child-Poverty Rates

“Policymakers and pundits prefer silence on the relationship between America’s immigration system and poverty, and it’s easy to see why.”
By Kay S. Hymowitz
New York Post
October 31, 2017
Adapted from City Journal

FEATURED EVENT

Mental-Health Symposium

On October 27, the Manhattan Institute held a mental-health symposium featuring discussions with Dr. Elinore McCance-Katz, Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use at the Department of Health and Human Services, and authors D.J. Jaffe and Pete Earley.

ECONOMY & FINANCE

Risky Revenues

Desperate for more income, states are turning to questionable new forms of gambling.
By Steven Malanga
City Journal
Autumn 2017 Issue

Drone Innovation Closer to Reality

“Drone delivery in the United States inched one step closer with the recent Presidential Memorandum...”
By Charles Hughes
Economics21
October 31, 2017

LEGAL VICTORY

Manhattan Institute's director of legal policy, Jim Copland, has long written about the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)'s anti-arbitration rule. Explore this interactive timeline to see his work on this crucial legal policy fight.

CITY JOURNAL

City Journal
Autumn 2017

Our new issue explores the trendy "science" of implicit-bias theory; signs of vigor in the American heartland; the future of our political parties; New York City’s prospects on the eve of a mayoral election; and more. Get your copy today!

PODCAST

The “Science” Behind Implicit Bias

Heather Mac Donald joins Seth Barron to discuss the dubious scientific and statistical bases behind the popular academic theory, “implicit bias.”
Released on October 18, 2017

FEATURED BOOKS

Infinite Suburbia: A New Urban Policy Collection

Featuring a chapter by the Manhattan Institute's Howard Husock on “Suburban Government and the Virtues of Local Control.“

Heather Mac Donald's The War on Cops in Paperback

IDEAS MATTER

The conviction that “ideas matter” drives everything we do at the Manhattan Institute. In honor of our 40th anniversary, we're excited to share the following commercial to help others connect the dots between the work of a think tank and its impact on everyday lives. Turning intellect into influence is at the heart of MI's legacy—and we intend to keep it that way.

The Manhattan Institute is a think tank whose mission is to develop and disseminate new ideas that foster greater economic choice and individual responsibility.
52 Vanderbilt Ave. New York, NY 10017
(212) 599-7000
SUPPORT MI
Copyright © 2017 Manhattan Institute, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Manhattan Institute
52 Vanderbilt Ave.
New York, NY 10017

Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list