Installing newer (post Java 8) Java versions for Polarbar

chocola...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2021, 8:25:48 AM4/28/21
to Polarbar Mailer
Since Java 8, JavaFX has not been included with Java, either Oracle or OpenJDK. Polarbar requires JavaFX.

There's two ways to fix this: try to add JavaFX to Java, or find a different build of Java which includes it. The first is not easy, and requires some skill. The second is pretty easy: go to https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/ and install a JRE FX package (or a JDK FX package if you need the JDK.)

Frederik Schodt

Apr 28, 2021, 5:28:20 PM4/28/21
to polarba...@googlegroups.com

This is an attractive idea. Has anyone recently tried this?  It might solve some problems for me. I assume the environment variables would have to be changed somehow.

Fred

chocola...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2021, 5:35:56 PM4/28/21
to Polarbar Mailer
Of course I've tried it, or I would not have suggested it! I use the JDK FX version daily (I also build Polarbar myself.) There are instructions on the web page for how to install it.

Frederik Schodt

Apr 28, 2021, 5:54:47 PM4/28/21
to polarba...@googlegroups.com

I would love to try it.  I’m not very technologically sophisticated, but on the web page, I remember seeing two different ways of installation mentioned, for older versions and newer versions of PBM. Can you point me to some information on how to install PBM with the JDK FX version?  I assume even the latest versions of PBM would work with it, but are there things that I should look out for, such as different environment variables?  Presumably it wouldn’t requite pointing to both a specific, separate JAVA FX and JRE if they’re in the one package?

Thanks much in advance for any advice.

chocola...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2021, 2:59:56 AM4/29/21
to Polarbar Mailer
I am referring to installing Java, not Polarbar. When you have Java installed, Polarbar will use it: Polarbar just needs to be able to find java.exe or javaw.exe (I'm assuming Windows, otherwise ignore the .exe suffix) on the PATH in order to start.

Frederik L. Schodt

Jan 28, 2023, 6:20:31 PM1/28/23
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
Time passes slowly up here in the mountains, and once again I dream of properly installing Polarbar again, this time on a new Windows 11 system. In 2021, Wild Willy, my hero, invested an enormous amount of time and effort trying to help me install a newer version of Polarbar on an older system, but I could never get to a stable install (although I did get to a point where I could at least download mail). Part of the problem may have been my lack of understanding, a difficulty specifying environmental variables, and even the complexity of my system where I had different partitions, etc. My intelligence has not improved, but my new computer has a much more standard configuration. And I'm thinking of trying once again.
In re-reading your email, it sounds as though it might be worth trying an installation with JRE FX.  In that case, are there special environmental variables that need to be specified? Can I just create a directory for the polarbar files, install it, and then point it to my "mail" directory, which has my 30 years of email?  Any thoughts appreciated.
Fred

www.jai2.com