New Polarbar launcher for Windows

Graham Norris

Aug 5, 2019, 4:53:45 AM8/5/19
to Polarbar mailer
For some time, Polarbar hasn't been able to properly integrate itself in Windows.

I've created a new launcher which enables Polarbar to properly integrate itself in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. For Java versions which no longer include JavaFX, it also handles directing Polarbar to the OpenJFX parts during normal use (there's some caveats to this currently.)

Traditionally, Polarbar's efforts at integrating Polarbar in Windows included putting icons (aka shortcuts) on the Desktop and Start Menu. I personally hate things which put icons on my Desktop without asking. Although the new launcher could ask if you want a Desktop icon during initial install, if Polarbar is selected as the default MAILTO/Email program in the Windows Default Programs/Apps dialog, there's no opportunity to ask, it will just happen.

I am therefore intending to not create a Desktop icon at all, just a start Menu icon. Any objections?

The help panel for the launcher is attached as an image (I hope - I've not tried this before.)

(This launcher isn't yet part of the standard Polarbar build, although the source is in GIT. It has to be built on Windows as it creates a Windows assembly in the form of a .exe file.)

Graham.
PBMLW.jpg

Frederik L. Schodt

Aug 5, 2019, 2:20:34 PM8/5/19
to polarba...@googlegroups.com

No objections here. Just gratitude that you are working on this.

Fred

WildWilly

Aug 14, 2019, 12:37:27 AM8/14/19
to Polarbar mailer
Not sure what this means but I'll report it & maybe something will come of it.  On the occasion of having to reboot my system a little while ago, I thought I'd do what I've been threatening (myself, privately) to do.  That is to delete the installation directory for the earlier JDK 11 that I had AND delete the JFX directories there.  It seemed like there was no apparent way that Java was finding JFX.  So I thought what the hey.  Delete it & see what happens.  PBM appears to be functioning perfectly without JFX.  I believe this actually proves PBM has never been using JFX.  At least, I haven't pushed PBM into using JFX.  PBM opens, retrieves E-mail, sends E-mail, lets me compose new messages & send them, lets me reply to received messages & send them, move messages from one folder to another, delete sent messages.  Maybe some of the more esoteric functions use JFX but I must not be exercising that.  But that's on PBM 1.26 dev build 2324.  Will there be more dependence on JFX in whatever you come out with next?

Carl Miller

Aug 14, 2019, 1:18:30 AM8/14/19
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
It won't even start without FX in the new version :)

You may be getting away with that in the older version because FX was very limited in use and I believe was mainly isolated to the message viewer. So if you only use the text viewer, it may not even try to load the other one in that version. Not so in the newer version, not to mention there are numerous other FX-based dependencies in the new version.

Personally, I pretty much never use the text viewer anymore. The WebKit viewer is safe for not loading remote references (tracking your emails) and it's so much nicer on the eyes to read emails as they were meant to be viewed where markup is concerned.

Carl