Atchmnts

Frederik L. Schodt

Jul 16, 2019, 4:07:31 PM7/16/19
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
Here's a real basic question.  What is the Atchmnts folder?  Yesterday I noticed that all the files had been deleted, for some reason or another. I restored them, but then also thought that maybe they are not needed.  Most seem to be html files, and even if I delete them I can still access the information anyway.  So I'm a bit puzzled.  Also, what does the "collect" folder do? I can't find a reference to it in the help file.

Thanks much!

--
Frederik L. Schodt
www.jai2.com

Bob

Jul 16, 2019, 6:16:23 PM7/16/19
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
** Reply to message from "Frederik L. Schodt" <fsc...@gmail.com> on Tue, 16
Jul 2019 13:07:19 -0700
The ATCHMNTS folder is where Polarbar places the email attachments are placed
while an email is open. When the next email is displayed the attachments of
the previous email are cleared and the attachments for the new email are put
into the ATCHMNTS folder. The ATCHMNTS folder is cleared when Polarbar is
closed.

--
Robert Blair

Bill Wild Willy Kredentser

Jul 16, 2019, 6:30:19 PM7/16/19
to PolarBar Mailer Google Group
> ** Reply to message from "Frederik L. Schodt" <fsc...@gmail.com> on Tue, 16 Jul 2019 13:07:19 -0700

I don't know what the COLLECT directory is for. Mine is empty, if that's any help.

The ATCHMNTS directory I do know. If you are displaying an E-mail that has attachments, those
attachments will appear as files in that directory. When you go to display another E-mail -- you
don't even have to delete the one you had been looking at -- those files are supposed to get
deleted. If the next E-mail has attachments, they will be the new contents of that directory.
Occasionally, I discover that there's inexplicable files in that directory. I have manually
deleted them without problem. If there are any files in that directory at the moment you close
PBM, I have observed that PBM shutdown deletes them all. You needn't have bothered to restore your
ATCHMNTS directory. If you need to see the attachments again, just reopen the relevant E-mails.
The attachments are still part of those .POP files & they are decoded again when you display those
E-mails.

WW
GO HABS GO!
Configuration: Windows 7 64-bit, Open JDK build 11.0.1+28 (2019/3/1), pbm1.26dev/2324

Carl Miller

Jul 16, 2019, 9:30:32 PM7/16/19
to Polarbar mailer
From the doc:

COLLECT
This directory is where your incoming mail is stored, between the time it's retrieved from the server and the time the Filters are working on it and before it is brought into the INBOX folder.

And yes, ATCHMNTS is a temporary directory for Polarbar. I would empty it after exiting PBM and let it be managed automatically.

Java has a neat feature that PBM uses that basically says, "when this program exits, delete this file". So whenever PBM creates a temporary file it knows is useless the next run, it marks it that way, so it'll automatically be deleted once PBM exits.

Carl

Frederik L. Schodt

Jul 16, 2019, 9:48:06 PM7/16/19
to polarba...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the info!  This is both very useful and very reassuring. J

Fred