Build 2323

Carl

Jan 5, 2014, 12:34:16 AM1/5/14
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
This build addresses the following:

- Added a menu selection to override the current Persona setting of where to
place the signature line.

Carl

Bill Wild Willy

Jan 5, 2014, 7:12:49 AM1/5/14
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
> ** Reply to message from "Carl" <carlp...@gmail.com> on Sun, 5 Jan 2014 00:34:16 -0500

I like your idea EVEN BETTER! This must be what they call synergy.

It works GREAT! I think this will be most useful.

As my first test, I tried something really lazy which you may or may not consider a bug. I
launched a Reply to an E-mail, quoted in the whole original E-mail, swapped Personas to one with
the new option enabled, then did Send Later. I did not add any new text of my own. The SIG went
at the bottom. I also tried the same thing but manually enabled the new option in the menu. Same
result. So the SIG gets placed above quoted text only if you add some text yourself. Like I say,
this may be a boundary condition that you might consider just user error instead of an actual bug.
It is probably a mistake, if not outright rude, if you do a Reply and don't actually add something
in your own words in the way of a reply.

Hmmm....... Maybe that's another suggestion. At least pop up a prompt that you're doing an empty
reply. Something like what you get if you try to end a Compose but you don't have a sender
address, Subject, or note body.

More hmmm....... There's Compose New, Reply, Forward, Bounce, & Route. I wonder how relevant this
is in those other cases. I think I can check them off.

- Compose New is not relevant. There should be no quoted text in a Compose New. And if there is,
it's a qualitatively different case than Reply. And yet . . . If you turn the new option on, the
SIG goes above any quoted text. This is probably not a bug, just a feature of this new option.
You should probably disable the option via the menu if you're doing a Compose New & your Persona in
effect enables the option.

- Reply definitely works with this new option.

- Bounce should probably not be relevant because you're not adding anything yourself.

- Forward should not be relevant either since there is no actual quoting going on. If you want to
put your SIG up top behind anything you might add there, I don't think there's any way for PBM to
recognize the difference between anything you might add & what got auto-filled by the Forward
function. In any case when you Forward, the SIG goes at the bottom in all cases, regardless of the
setting of the new option, & even if you add some text yourself. I even tried it by making what I
added start with my Quote Characters; the SIG still goes at the bottom. I think this may be fine
as is. Mind you, it's a bit inconsistent with what happens in Compose New. I think maybe since
this is how Forward works, Compose New ought to be changed to act like Forward, not vice versa.

- Route is a function I've never used & don't entirely understand. I vaguely recall that the only
difference between Route & Forward has something to do with the way attachments are handled. In
any case, I suppose there's nothing relevant in Route connected to this new option. I tried one
just to see & I think there's no connection.

WW
GO HABS GO!
Configuration: Windows 7 Enterprise, Oracle Java build 1.7.0_45-b18 (2013/10/18), pbm1.26dev/2323

Bill Wild Willy

Jan 5, 2014, 7:24:48 AM1/5/14
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
> ** Reply to message from Bill "Wild Willy" Kredentser <wild...@fuse.net> on Sun, 5 Jan 2014 07:12:49 -0500

> Something like what you get if you try to end a Compose but you don't have a sender address

Of course I meant "addressee." The sender address is always mine. Duh.

Carl

Jan 5, 2014, 9:53:36 AM1/5/14
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
** Reply to message from Bill "Wild Willy" Kredentser <wild...@fuse.net> on
Sun, 5 Jan 2014 07:12:49 -0500

> I did not add any new text of my own. The SIG went
> at the bottom. I also tried the same thing but manually enabled the new option in the menu. Same
> result. So the SIG gets placed above quoted text only if you add some text yourself. Like I say,
> this may be a boundary condition that you might consider just user error instead of an actual bug.

That is working by design. The code "looks" for your reply text and based on
that, the signature is positioned appropriately. It's not a boundary condition
that I didn't test against.

There is a potential issue with this new logic that looks for your reply text.
Has to do with the "** Reply to message" text that most use, but some have the
other text that starts with "On blah, someone wrote". That could trip up this
logic, not totally sure, but it has the potential to. Also, if it gets confused
about the reply to prefix (usually "> "), but it honors your setting in your
Persona so that has less chance of tripping things up.

I tried a number of variations of messages (always replies) and felt it stable
enough. The logic is derived from some newer logic I've been working on for a
new message viewer (text-based, not HTML). It's far from being ready but it
does similar parsing of message text for colorization and other markup.

Carl

Pat Boyd

Jan 5, 2014, 10:11:29 AM1/5/14
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
This is a test.

** Reply to message from "Carl" <carlp...@gmail.com> on Sun, 5 Jan 2014 00:34:16 -0500

PolarBar Mailer v1.26 build 2323 (using long file names and new note list)
on Windows XP Pro v5.1, SP3 fully patched
Java v1.7.0_45-b18, System: P4 - 2.8Gh, 1047 meg ram

Carl

Jan 5, 2014, 10:36:35 AM1/5/14
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
** Reply to message from "Pat Boyd" <at1...@comcast.net> on Sun, 5 Jan 2014
09:11:29 -0600

OK, didn't test the use-case that Pat just sent, where the reply text was above
the "** Reply to" content. I've tweaked the code for that and it will be in the
next build. The signature/tagline info should have been above the "** Reply to"
content.

Carl