Fred's Polarbar Challenge

Frederik L. Schodt

Apr 15, 2021, 9:05:00 PM4/15/21
to polarba...@googlegroups.com

Here's a summary of my issues, with some specific questions at the end. Good karma to anyone who can answer them.

I am a decades long user of Polarbar and its predecessors in various permutations, but I am not a programmer or knowledgeable about java. Some time ago (perhaps a couple of months ago?), something happened to the old Polarbar I was using (1.25e, I think). I lost my search function, which is essential to me since I have so much email from the past.  I thought it was time to update to the new Polarbar, with new java and javafx. Bill Kredentser deserves a Nobel prize for trying to help me setup my environment variables, and for being so generous with his time in trying to get it all to work. From what Bill has concluded, the variable settings seem correct, but for some reason PBM has trouble invoking JavaFX properly. There is  a long and complicated thread already on the group list showing all the ways he has helped and suggestions he has made.

To summarize what I have experienced.

1) At one point, when everything was installed, I thought that everything was working great. I made the mistake, however, in changing the browser from the Webkit one to Google. That seemed to ruin it. After that, sometimes nothing would work. Usually, when invoked, the command line window would show PBM dying in an endless loop, making it impossible to change settings or do anything. Looking at the command line, it seemed to choke on the line, "

InteropFactory: cannot load com.sun.javafx.embed.swing.newimpl.InteropFactoryN"

2) On Bill's suggestion I tried re-downloading Java and also JavaFX, and the latest version of PBM, but it didn't seem to help.  At one point, Windows Defender started treating the PBM download as ransomware. I know from the read.me file that AntiVirus programs can cause problems, and it suggests giving PBM full privileges but I am not sure how to do that. After a while of trying to stop it from blocking PBM or deleting parts of it, PBM seemed to survive the installation, which was nice.

3) I eventually tried to do a clean install. I redownloaded PBM and made sure that it would create a new account settings file. Then, I copied over all my old mail folders,  and fired PBM up. To my surprise, most of the PBM functions seemed to work, after I was able to re-input the settings for incoming and outgoing servers, etc. Mail downloads, and search also worked. I also added a .bat file that Bill suggested, and that seems to have really helped. When invoked properly, I don't see the command line window, and everything seems to load fine. But when polarbar.exe is invoked directly, I do see it, and see the execution stop at the line"

InteropFactory: cannot load com.sun.javafx.embed.swing.newimpl.InteropFactoryN"  and then go into an endless loop. With the bat file, in terms of functionality I am now at the place where the most important functions I need (Search, downloading, etc.) seem to work okay as far as I can see.

4) There are still anomalies, however. Help does not work. If I invoke polarbar.exe, and click on help, it often sends PBM into an endless death-spiral loop related to JavaFX. If I invoke through the .bat file recommended by Bill, with a specific connection to JavaFX, however, it avoids the endless loop. Help displays its contents when clicked, but none of the categories or items listed function when clicked.

So at this point, PBM is usable to me, even though it's not perfect because I can't access HELP, and also cannot use a different browser other than webkit.

So here are a couple of specific questions.

1. Are help files available somewhere outside of PBM?  Is it possible to extract them separately from the PBM download package (the zip file) and use them? Since there are many new functions in the latest version, it would be nice to know what they do, and what to input in settings (which now largely works).

2. There is obviously still some issue preventing JavaFX from working correctly. I note in the downloaded PBM package that there is a file called FindFX.  It seems to be some sort of script that helps PBM find javafx. Does anyone think that might help me?

Any brave souls that would like to take a crack at helping me will of course get good karma, which Bill already has mountains of.

Thanks much, Fred

--
Frederik L. Schodt
www.jai2.com

Carl Miller

Apr 20, 2021, 10:48:48 PM4/20/21
to polarba...@googlegroups.com
Help files are within the Polarbar.jar file. Since they're just "html" files, you probably could extract them for viewing purposes. It'd be much better to get your install working properly rather than extracting them.

I suspect you can't access them within PBM because of your browser settings. Is there a reason you can't use the WebKit browser which is built-in to JavaFX? Did you set it back to WebKit? If that's true and you still cannot access help, there is something amiss with your environment. If you're running the latest PBM, run it and in settings, under General/Cleanup/Log Files, you can setup individual log levels now and scroll the list till you see org.polarbar.gui.WebKitPanel. Select that entry and in the combo box, change the setting from "Show info messages" to "Show debug messages". Click OK (to save the settings) and try to run help with that turned on. See what your polarbar log file has for entries when you attempt to access help.

I'm not a Windows user so I can't help you with the "exe" issues. It could be virus protection related, it could be environmental, not sure. What version of Windows? I believe it's C-sharp code underneath so perhaps your Windows is somehow incompatible with what the exe was built with? If the bat file works, I'm not sure that you're missing out on anything. There is nothing unique about the exe other than it attempts to make starting PBM a lot easier than dealing with a bat file. On Linux, it's all driven by a Bash shell script so it's no different than a bat file (other than functionality of Bash vs DOS bat files).

In re: to JavaFX not working properly, if you know where it is, make sure the bat file specifies JAVAFX_HOME and your classpath includes the "lib" directory of your JavaFX install. Make sure the DLL's within the JavaFX install are setup in your PATH as required (not sure how Windows deals with that).

Carl

fschodt

Apr 21, 2021, 12:03:42 AM4/21/21
to Polarbar Mailer
Thanks, Carl. I will try to double-check these things that you mention. ; I am using Windows 10 (pro, I think). I think I have pretty much the same setup as Bill does, although he is using Windows 7, i believe.  This is what I have, with Bill's help, for my bat file:   D:\PolarbarMailer\polarbarw.exe -FX "%JAVAFX_HOME%\lib" -d D:\dropbox\Mailer (I have kept the mail folder in Dropbox for years and it has always worked great when working on two computers).  This bat file, when executed properly, seems to help avoid the endless loop execution that PBM otherwise used to  go into. I see the command window for a second, with no errors. Then PBM starts up smoothly with no apparent hiccups and I can access many but not all functions. Help and Preview do not work well. Do you think I need something more specific in the "lib" variable?

I have WebKit specified in the browser setting. If I change the setting to Google or anything else, PBM goes into an endless loop, so I am keeping it on Webkit, although I am not sure a browser function is really working well. I will also try to generate the log file you mention.

Thanks much for your advice.  I really appreciate it.  I've used PBM with no problem for so many years and been very frustrated by my recent problems.

Fred

fschodt

Apr 21, 2021, 12:11:21 AM4/21/21
to Polarbar Mailer
To be more clear about the Help files, what is interesting is that when I click on Help, the Help screen comes up, with all the contents listed on the left. But clicking on them doesn't display anything on the right side, so there is no way to read the contents, only the list. Clicking on Index doesn't do anything.

fschodt

Apr 21, 2021, 12:21:22 AM4/21/21
to Polarbar Mailer
For what it's worth, this is the log file that PBM generates after making the settings as recommended.

2021-04-20 21:08:25,920 INFO  [InstallValidation] Using D:\dropbox\Mailer as data directory (set by -d)
2021-04-20 21:08:26,020 INFO  [jstreet] Starting The Polarbar Mailer (1.27 CI-860 build 2329) in PID 21020
2021-04-20 21:08:26,051 INFO  [jstreet] Running under AdoptOpenJDK Java 11.0.10 (11.01).
2021-04-20 21:08:26,116 INFO  [jstreet] Java VM name OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM, OS 'Windows 10' version '19041.928'.
2021-04-20 21:08:26,116 INFO  [jstreet] Polarbar can use 4 logical processor[s]
2021-04-20 21:08:26,124 INFO  [ClientServer] Setting up Polarbar ClientServer
2021-04-20 21:08:26,126 INFO  [ClientServer] PID 21020 trying command PB:REQ QUERY
2021-04-20 21:08:26,437 INFO  [jstreet] Using Java FX version 11.0.2
2021-04-20 21:08:28,642 INFO  [ClientServer] PID 21020 found no existing instance
2021-04-20 21:08:28,643 INFO  [jstreet] This instance of Polarbar is established as the primary instance.
2021-04-20 21:08:28,680 INFO  [LogLabel] Loading the Bayesian message corpus.
2021-04-20 21:08:28,684 INFO  [LogLabel] The current Bayesian message corpus has been loaded (0 tokens).
2021-04-20 21:08:29,401 INFO  [LogLabel] Loading folders...
2021-04-20 21:08:29,410 INFO  [LogLabel] Adding folders to control...
2021-04-20 21:08:29,638 INFO  [LogLabel] Folders loaded. Repainting...
2021-04-20 21:08:29,741 INFO  [LogLabel] Folder load completed.
2021-04-20 21:08:30,536 INFO  [LogLabel] The Polarbar Mailer (1.27 CI-860 build 2329) PID 21020 fully started
2021-04-20 21:17:05,929 INFO  [LogLabel] All changes saved.
2021-04-20 21:17:05,930 INFO  [OptionsDialog] messageChanged persisting configuration (calling messageChanged)
2021-04-20 21:17:05,931 INFO  [MessageEvent] CONFIGURATION from ServerDriver.messageChanged.2 src:OptionsDialog
2021-04-20 21:17:09,159 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] createScene called on AWT thread!!! AWT-EventQueue-0
2021-04-20 21:17:09,160 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] createScene running...
2021-04-20 21:17:09,163 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] Calling latch.await...
2021-04-20 21:17:09,164 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] WebKitPanel.createScene failed due to java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class com.sun.javafx.embed.swing.oldimpl.JFXPanelInteropO (in module javafx.swing) cannot access class sun.awt.SunToolkit (in module java.desktop) because module java.desktop does not export sun.awt to module javafx.swing
2021-04-20 21:17:09,166 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] createScene done
2021-04-20 21:17:09,166 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] waitForLatch true
2021-04-20 21:17:09,166 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] WebView good
2021-04-20 21:17:09,307 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] Calling latch.await...
2021-04-20 21:17:09,308 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] Calling engine.load...
2021-04-20 21:17:09,314 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] waitForLatch true
2021-04-20 21:17:09,319 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] State.SUCCEEDED
2021-04-20 21:17:09,346 DEBUG [WebKitPanel] WebEngine finished loading cpath://doc/Contents.htm