Interest in 6 Meter HF Net?

k7...@outlook.com

Mar 13, 2019, 12:00:47 PM3/13/19
to PNWVHFS
A number of people have said that they like me getting out and doing 6 meter activation since the only other 6 meter activity is usually during contests with the low in the solar cycle.

I was wondering if there is any interest in doing a 6 Meter HF net once a week to help scratch the 6 meter itch.

I'm willing to participate.  We just need to determine a day and time.  It can be ran like the 2 meter nets on Tuesday nights.  Maybe we can do it @ 7:30pm just before the 2 meter net on Tuesdays

Just putting it out there to see if there is interest.

Thanks,

Scott
K7JSG

O.J. Lougheed

Mar 13, 2019, 1:19:07 PM3/13/19
to k7...@outlook.com, PNWVHFS
Scott,

OJ on Lopez. Because of the dismal sunspots my small 3 element 6 meter beam has been down for... years? (No tower anyway. Just pipe masts. I did put up a 6M Arrowplane (ground plane) for Emcomm FM.  Just hit eight repeaters without trying too hard. The 6M machine at 2,500' on Mt. Constitution (Orcas Island/San Juan Islands high point) seems to be down. I didn't run through all the Seattle - Down Sound machines. Everett and Baldi were only a 1/2 S Unit. Too much rock, although I get lots of 2M knife edge refraction into many distant machines and the occasional morning and summer Salish Sea tropo. I always thought that a tropo net would be fun... but hard to schedule :-) Email alerts? There's a 146.70 repeater down in Pack Forest that bothers us up here (146.70 repeater on San Juan Island) on those special occasions.

Bay View 6 meter activation: SSB or FM? Antenna? Bay View isn't all that high (as you know, hence 20 meters :-) and the "central" San Juans, especially fairly flat Lowpez, is mostly surrounded by taller islands. Do note that the Ferndale 6M repeater is S9 here, so perhaps good for Bay View local coordination? But then why not use the 2M machine on Constitution? Great coverage!

Net? If you have something vertically polarized (or not) at home try Cultus Mtn for northern coverage: 53.59 pl 100 (+20dB here and see attached.) Of course if you want activity, Seattle area is where it's at. Sort of, maybe? Someone must use those repeaters (have gear and antennas)...  Vertical SSB could be interesting with some repeater coordination? (We are weak signals fanatics, are we not?)

Note that my computer system and monitor generate far too much QRM on Six (even FM), so I don't normally monitor... (I can hear my mouse scroll!)

73, OJ, AD7DR, Lopez Island

--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

k7...@outlook.com

Mar 13, 2019, 2:49:57 PM3/13/19
to PNWVHFS
I guess I should have been more clear.  I'm suggesting a SSB 6 Meter Net.  Sorry about that.

Getting responses personally and here.  Sounds like there is some interest.

Now just need to decide on a day and time.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott
K7JSG

William Martin

Mar 13, 2019, 3:05:24 PM3/13/19
to PNWVHFS
Scott,

Down here in the Rogue Valley we have a very successful 2 meter SSB “net” or as I like to call it “ragchew gathering”. We meet Tuesday nights at 7PM to catch the hams that are working and Wednesday morning 10AM for us retired folks. It has really inspired an interest in 2 meter SSB beyond the contest schedule. I suggest you try it in the evening time to catch as many hams in your area as possible. The most successful platform I found was just a round table ragchew. You might be surprised how many hams will just check in to see if the 50 MHz portion of their radio works! Also for local operation you don’t need anything fancy in the way of antennas to get on. Encourage everyone to try any antenna that they can put up. Verticals, dipoles or whatever. I built a full wave loop with wire and PVC pipe and it works great. Set it up and see what happens!

Bill N7EU RVVHF Society Scribe.

James C

Mar 13, 2019, 3:39:46 PM3/13/19
to k7...@outlook.com, PNWVHFS
Hello Scott,

I'm all in for a weekly regional 6m SSB net. I'll let you guys figure out when and where.

As an aside, there is plenty of 6m action everyday.
MS is always around in the mornings and also throughout the day.
Can make 1000+ mile contacts most days even with my antenna currently 5ft above ground.

There are a lot of PNWVHFS members that participate.
I leave my 6m setup on 24/7 like a lot of others.

Good luck, .-James K7KQA DN06

lar...@teleport.com

Mar 13, 2019, 3:43:20 PM3/13/19
to PNWVHFS
There was a 6-Meter casual round-table net in the Portland area on Monday evenings, followed by nets on 2-Meters and 430 MHz. I don't know if they're still going, KK7N used to be the NCS. I think the 2-Meter net was at 8 PM, and the 6-Meter net at 7 PM or 7:30 PM? I haven't had a chance to listen for quite a while, to see if they're still going.

Larry, K7LJ

Scott Green

Mar 13, 2019, 4:15:15 PM3/13/19
to James C, PNWVHFS
I just looked on the PNWVHF website and there is a 6 Meter net listed for Victoria, BC on Wed at 8:30pm  on 50.125 and another 6 Meter net list for Portland on Mon at 8:15pm on 50.140.

Are these nets still happening?

I will admit I have not listened for them.  I will not be able to listen tonight for the BC net.

The idea for a 6 Meter net just came to me this morning.

I know there is a lot of people around the Seattle/Tacoma/Everett area that are interested in 6 meters.  They are the ones always contacting me when I do my 6 M POTA activations. :)

thanks,

Scott
K7JSG

Mar 13, 2019, 4:53:33 PM3/13/19
to olou...@gmail.com, k7...@outlook.com, PNWVHFS
Hello Scott,

Having been primarily interested in 6m since I first go on that band in 1996, I have
take issue with your comment about 6m activity only taking place during contests.
Every morning, there is meteor scatter activity on 50.260 using MSK144 mode.  And it
won't be long until the summer Es season is upon us with FT8 activity nearly all the
time on 50.313. Of course, if you have a yagi, the best days of the month for 6m EME
are next week using JT65A mode.The above WSJT modes breathe new life into 6m for
year-round activity, although most of the FFMA rare grid activations still take place
near the end of June to early July.

For meteor scatter activity, check out the Ping Jockey we page:

https://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk

For general 6m DXing and FT8 activity, check out the ON4KST REGION 2 CHAT page:

http://www.on4kst.org/chat/login.php?band=7

For 6m EME, check out the ON4KST EME CHAT page during the optimum days of the month
for 6m EME:

http://www.on4kst.org/chat/login.php?band=5

If anyone still needs a 6m multi-mode radio, I still have the Yaesu FT690R
mobile/portable 6m rig from the W7ALW estate here. It runs on 13.5 VDC and includes a
microphone, includes the FL-6020 amplifier (10w output) option, and a mobile mounting
bracket. That is enough power to drive most solid state amplifiers.  $150 (includes
shipping) and it's yours!

GL this year on the Magic Band!  VY 73, Lance

On 3/13/2019 17:18:52, O.J. Lougheed wrote:
> [...]
> to help scratch the 6 meter itch.
>
> I'm willing to participate.  We just need to determine a day and time.  It
> can be ran like the 2 meter nets on Tuesday nights.  Maybe we can do it @
> 7:30pm just before the 2 meter net on Tuesdays
>
> Just putting it out there to see if there is interest.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
> K7JSG
>

> --
> ~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
> You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.
> "PNWVHFS" group.
> to pnwvhfs+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:pnwvhfs+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:pnw...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
> ~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
> You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

page (above)!

VE7HR

Mar 13, 2019, 5:14:16 PM3/13/19
to w7...@q.com, olou...@gmail.com, k7...@outlook.com, PNWVHFS
I don’t think the Victoria nets are active. I have listened a few time and heard nothing.
Dave
VE7HR
CN89

Sent from my iPhone
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pnwvhfs+u...@googlegroups.com.

STEPHEN L SALA

Mar 13, 2019, 7:24:07 PM3/13/19
to jab...@gmail.com, k7...@outlook.com, PNWVHFS

I can always get into to Portland and Seattle on 6 meters from my 2475 foot elevation  NW of Spokane with a  clear shot to the West.  Glad to check in and see how things are now.

Steve K7AWB

DN17es

k7...@outlook.com

Mar 14, 2019, 1:59:37 PM3/14/19
to PNWVHFS

From the responses there is interest in a 6 Meter SSB Net.  I can only participate in the evenings or on the weekends.

So I will be on 6 Meters SSB on 50.140 on Tuesday, March 18th @ 7:15 pm.  This should give enough time to finish before the 2 Meter SSB net @ 8:00 pm.

I will be using my 6 Meter M2 HO Loop antenna running 100 watts.  It is horizontal polarized.

I have a net at 7:00 pm that I need to run or check into.  If anyone wants to join me that would be great.

Thanks,

Scott
K7JSG

Charles Miller

Mar 14, 2019, 2:07:00 PM3/14/19
to pnw...@googlegroups.com
Tuesday is the 19th???  I'll try to work you Saturday on 6M.

73, Chuck N6KW

Charles Miller

Mar 14, 2019, 2:07:44 PM3/14/19

STEPHEN L SALA

Mar 14, 2019, 2:12:57 PM3/14/19
to k7...@outlook.com, PNWVHFS

One of the major problems in being near Spokane is that most of the 6 meter SSB or CW activity goes between Portland and Seattle so everyone points their beams North or South, at least during contests.  The weakest reception from a Yagi is from its sides – that where we are to most of you here near Spokane.

I am in Nine Mile Falls which, obviously from its name,  has a dam on the Spokane River 9 miles Northwest  from the somewhat center of Spokane.

So please point your beams East once in a while for the net.  I point at 270 degrees for Seattle so that is 90 degrees for you there.

Stephen Sala

K7AWB

DN17es

Mar 14, 2019, 2:59:47 PM3/14/19
to k7...@msn.com, PNWVHFS
Hi Steve,

Do you know anybody interested in the W7ALW homebrew 8877 amp for 6m, with
variac-controlled HV power supply?  It is in a tall rack now, obviously with lots of
empty space in it). Must be moved out in the next month!!! Obviously prefer pickup...

TNX and VY 73, Lance

Edward R Cole

Mar 14, 2019, 3:16:40 PM3/14/19
to k7...@msn.com, PNWVHFS
Stephen,

The solution is to start your own net and have everyone in NE WA point their antennas at Bend or Boise thus placing western WA/OR to the side of your antenna. Yeah, I'm joking - partially.

But why not start a net in Spokane area to work stations on the "dry-side"?  Maybe some of the Sea/Port folk will try checking in?

Basically, I have a some-what similar situation living 70 to 100 miles south of Anchorage where 50% of Alaskan hams live.  They hold a 2m net at 8pm every Tuesday and most of the time I can barely hear their NC.  A few others are located higher in altitude or have better stations so they relay my checkin for me.

Every Saturday I hold a 2m SSB net on 144.200 acting as NC.  Often I can receive stations (even mobiles) in Anchorage who cannot hear my 150w to my four 10-element eme yagis.  Yes, I can work station's signals reflected from the Moon, easier.

I even work a station 75 miles south of me by reflecting my signal off the mountains above Anchorage (in the wrong direction).  Thus my signal travels 75x2 times as far with mountain-bounce.  Unfortunately, the Cascades are between you and the desired stations.  I suppose the Olympics are too far or not in the right place for mountain bounce.  Rainier might provide a side-bounce if visible to you??   Probably over the horizon.

Solution is to use brute-force transmissions (1kw to eight long-boom yagis), or try to get NC to listen for you as some part of the net.

GL from the waste-land up north!

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 10:12 AM 3/14/2019, STEPHEN L SALA wrote:
One of the major problems in being near Spokane is that most of the 6 meter SSB or CW activity goes between Portland and Seattle so everyone points their beams North or South, at least during contests.  The weakest reception from a Yagi is from its sides – that where we are to most of you here near Spookane.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
  dubu...@gmail.com

James C

Mar 14, 2019, 3:17:02 PM3/14/19
to Steve Sala, PNWVHFS

FWIW,
A 6m net at 7:15 is cutting it close for me with the 144mhz net starting at 8. Wednesday might be a better option?

Steve,
On the Sunday/Tuesday 2m net, having the google spreadsheet really helps with your (our?) issue of getting folks to turn East.
If you can get logged on the spreadsheet, people will know your out there and turn for you. I check into the Tuesday net most weeks and log into the spreadsheet in turn.
We've had some fun nets recently. It's a hoot. (shout out to K0JJ and KD7UO for keeping the wheels turning so nicely).

Good luck with what may come. I'd like to see a weekly 6m net take off.. just not sure it makes sense to hold it the same night as the big regional 144mhz net.

.-James K7KQA DN06

Scott Green

Mar 14, 2019, 6:35:57 PM3/14/19
to pnw...@googlegroups.com, ch...@n6kw.net
Thanks Chuck, you are correct Tuesday is the 19th.  For some reason I have been getting other dates wrong this week too, I guess old timers is starting to set in 🙂

Thanks,

Scott
K7JSG

Mar 14, 2019, 6:43:25 PM3/14/19
to Steve Sala, PNWVHFS, jab...@gmail.com
Hi Steve,

I'm busy the first two Wednesday nights of every month.

I was thinking that since we have people that will be on the air on Tuesday night that they could do 6 Meters and then move over to 2 meters.

I can do other nights.  Since we don't have a 6 meter net I was seeing if there was interest and I will be on the air if people want to try it.  We can adjust if the majority of people want a different day and time.

I'm just trying to get something started.  Not sure if it we stick but we will not know unless we try.

Thanks,

Scott
K7JSG

Mar 15, 2019, 11:54:53 AM3/15/19
to pnw...@googlegroups.com
On 3/13/19 9:00 AM, k7...@outlook.com wrote:
I was wondering if there is any interest in doing a 6 Meter HF net once a week to help scratch the 6 meter itch.

     I am not currently on 6 meters, but I do think a net is a good idea.  I hear people talking on the local 2m/70cm FM repeaters mentioning that 6 meters is dead, yet I see posts on this list about who worked who on 6 meters on a fairly regular basis.  You get that 6 meter net going, and I will spread the word to the locals in the Wenatchee area.  I'm sure some would at least give it a try now and then.

                                                          Jim, N7JA

Edward R Cole

Mar 15, 2019, 12:18:53 PM3/15/19
to pnw...@googlegroups.com
Holding a net provides a scheduled time that there will some activity which addresses the comment that a band is dead.  Hopefully, those with common interest find each other on the net and will result in more activity.  At least my "theory" for starting a 2m net and the AK VHF-Up Group:
https://www.qsl.net/ak-vhf/

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 11:33 AM 3/13/2019, Jim Allyn wrote:
On 3/13/19 9:00 AM, k7...@outlook.com wrote:
I was wondering if there is any interest in doing a 6 Meter HF net once a week to help scratch the 6 meter itch.

     I am not currently on 6 meters, but I do think a net is a good idea.  I hear people talking on the local 2m/70cm FM repeaters mentioning that 6 meters is dead, yet I see posts on this list about who worked who on 6 meters on a fairly regular basis.  You get that 6 meter net going, and I will spread the word to the locals in the Wenatchee area.  I'm sure some would at least give it a try now and then.

                                                          Jim, N7JA

--
~The Voice of the Pacific NorthWest VHF Society~
You are subscribed to the Google Groups "PNWVHFS" group.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Rick Begeman

Mar 15, 2019, 1:43:29 PM3/15/19
to pnwvhfs
Give it an interesting topic like a Swap Net, etc. ?
--
RickB  503 314 7222