translation of book 10 of Kokon Chomonju

Colton Runyan

May 29, 2017, 10:14:36 PM5/29/17
to PMJS: Premodern Japanese Studies
Dear PMJS members,

Does anyone know of an English translation of book 10 of Kokon Chomonju (古今著聞集) particularly chapter 15 pertaining to Sumo Wrestling and other strongmen?

 I found a translation of one story,"How Saeki Ujinaga Met a Strong Woman, Oigo, Who Displayed Her Strength in a Dispute Over Water Rights" in Yoshiko K. Dykstra's "Notable Tales Old and New. Tachibana Narisue's Kokon Chomonju" in Monumenta Nipponica; however, I haven't found any others.

Information on any other translated tales or texts involving Sumo right before, during, or right after the Heian Period would be greatly appreciated as well.

I am already working with translations from Konjaku Monogatarishu ( 今昔物語集) and Uji Shui Monogatari (宇治拾遺物語) as well as a translation of the Sumo chapter in Soga Monogatari ( 曽我物語)

Best,

Colton Runyan

Claire-Akiko Brisset

May 30, 2017, 3:14:28 AM5/30/17
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colton (if I may),

There is no complete translation of book 10 of Kokon chomonju (as far as I know), but you should check the Royall Tyler translation of "Japanese Tales" (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library), which offers a pretty large amount of stories taken from the Kokon chomonju among other setsuwa shû.

Best wishes,

Claire
--
Claire-Akiko Brisset
Maître de conférences HDR

--
PMJS is a scholarly forum.

You are subscribed to PMJS: Premodern Japanese Studies.
To post to the list, send email to pm...@googlegroups.com

Michael Watson

May 30, 2017, 3:36:20 AM5/30/17
to pm...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colton,

Here’s one:

Dykstra, Yoshiko K. “Notable Tales Old and New. Tachibana Narisue's Kokon Chomonjū.” Monumenta Nipponica, vol. 47, no. 4, 1992, pp. 469–493. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/2385331.
This includes a translation of story 377 (Shinchōsha ed) “How Saeki Ujinaga met a strong woman, Ōigo, who displayed her strength in a dispute over water rights.”

See the entry for Kokon chomonjū in
Some years have passed since I updated this entry. I’d be glad to know of any other Western-language translations of stories in this collection.

(Indeed, the whole page could benefit from additions and corrections. A good project for groups of graduate students somewhere? Contact me off list.)

Scheid, Bernhard

May 30, 2017, 5:48:26 AM5/30/17
to pm...@googlegroups.com

Parts of the Kokon chomonju were translated into German and richly annotated by Hans Eckardt in 1956  (Das Kokonchomonshu des Tachibana Narisue als musikgeschichtliche Quelle. Harrassowitz, 1956). To my knowledge Eckhardt translated ch. 6  and a  few stories from other chapters, focussing on musical history.

Stories of strong women appear, as you may well know, already in the first setsuwa collection, the Nihon ryōiki, translated into English by Kyoko Nakamura (1973) and into German by Herman Bohner (1937).

--

PMJS is a scholarly forum.

You are subscribed to PMJS: Premodern Japanese Studies.
To post to the list, send email to pm...@googlegroups.com

Charles De Wolf

May 30, 2017, 8:28:24 AM5/30/17
to pm...@googlegroups.com
There is a story in Konjaku Monogatari (23:4) of a sumo wrestler's sister who is taken hostage by a criminal on the run. To the bewilderment of the messenger, the wrestler shrugs off the news. With a sword pointed at her abdomen, the woman feigns tears, reaches down towards a pile of bamboo arrow shafts, presses the joints against the floor, and effortlessly crushes them. Seeing this, the fugitive knows that she could just as easily make mincemeat of him. So he flees. Brought before the brother, he is told that it is lucky for him that he became aware of his peril...He then sends him packing...

My translation of the story appears in Tales of Days Gone By (2003). The collection includes another sumo story about a wrestler whom a vicious serpent foolishly attacks...I've recently published another modest collection of Konjaku excerpts (Of Birds and Beasts, Fish and Fowl). Included is a story about a sumo wrestler who takes on a shark. (Interestingly enough, the word for his nemesis is written 鰐.)

I can highly recommend both the German and French translations of Konjaku Monogatari excerpts. I wish there were more...

Best wishes
Charles De Wolf