Features to know about: boundary issue resolvers

Charles J. Daniels

Sep 21, 2015, 11:09:52 PM9/21/15
to Plover
Type very nearly and get first "very" followed by "venereal"? Happened to me. If you have a stroke defined as {*?} it will delete the stroke, insert a space, and repeat the stroke, so you actually get out "very nearly".

Have you tried three times to get "everyone" but you only found three different ways to get "every one"? If you don't want to resort to spelling, a stroke defined as {*!} will just remove the space. It works for any words, so you can turn "folks pizza" into "folkspizza".

Good to know!

--charlie

Achim Siebert

Sep 22, 2015, 4:13:56 AM9/22/15
to Plover
I just tried both - unfortunately this is not working in the release. :-(((

Theodore Morin

Sep 22, 2015, 9:28:51 AM9/22/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, this sounds more like a feature that Mike would have made, so perhaps it's in one of his branches.

I don't feel like past a certain point that conflict resolution in this manner would be valuable -- you want to train the correct muscle memory -- you don't want to learn "everyone" as a three-stroke process when a dictionary look up would tell you that it's a one-stroke brief. Similarly, if I wanted to stroke pizzafolk or folkspizza daily, it's more valuable to invest the time to define the strokes than to focus on trying to fit in these custom ones. My concern comes from the fact that already "S-P" and "TK-LS" and "KPA" and other strokes are a break in the flow of my hand-to-text process, and adding in these other ones would not help me reduce these "meta" commands, whereas new dictionary entries are super-valuable and automatically better, despite the initial time sink that they require to decide on and define.

The only feature I miss in day-to-day action is the repeat stroke, because say I'm in Atom, stroking "command-D" is 4-5 keys and I used to have repeat stroke mapped to the number bar (without any other keys) and it would be "command-D" once and then "number bar" repeatedly until I'm done.

Welp, that's my two cents. What are your thoughts?

Theodore Morin

Sep 22, 2015, 9:37:38 AM9/22/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Call me out of the loop, but I just checked Plover's GitHub and indeed all of Mike's changes made it into the official branch -- congratulations, Mike.

There's also the repeat stroke functionality! Guess what I'm doing for the next twenty minutes? (building Plover for OS X :p )

Achim Siebert

Sep 22, 2015, 5:10:51 PM9/22/15
to Plover
If you manage to build the OS X version, please share the resulting app somewhere!
I tried again today (though without using virtualenv), but couldn't make it work. The last release was probably made on 10.9 or earlier and a lot changed for 10.10, e.g. apparently the path to the Python libraries.

Charles J. Daniels

Sep 22, 2015, 6:14:44 PM9/22/15
to Plover
For me it's one stroke over 3. You can't type steno all day long and not run into a boundary issue here or there. And some of these things will be so rare you won't want to make an entry for them. So try "foxwood" as an off chance, doesn't work, split in one stroke, and move on -- how often are you going to type foxwood? I'm certainly not suggesting people not learn the affix strokes or briefs.

As I mentioned in anther thread, yes, this is current code, not in the last release. But they are there. I didn't realize I was poking around ahead of the curve when I mentioned these features, as you can pretty much tell.

I'm on Windows and can make a build for anyone who wants it, but it would alpha/beta.

Ted Morin

Sep 22, 2015, 11:48:51 PM9/22/15
to Plover
Achim, I got the build working. Didn't have to specify any specific versions in the end, so that's nice. Here's what I managed to build (should be up to date with openstenoproject's plover)

Charles J. Daniels

Sep 23, 2015, 1:05:54 AM9/23/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
What was your issue Ted? My windows builds go smoothly, but my environment didn't have a unicode-enabled version of wxpython, so ended up having to address that. But, my custom exe, or the latest one anyway, is going dead and requiring a restart at times.

Charles J. Daniels

Sep 23, 2015, 1:09:11 AM9/23/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com

Achim Siebert

Sep 23, 2015, 9:51:56 AM9/23/15
to Plover
Thank you, Ted. I just tried it - but unfortunately it's missing a menu and the "Configure" and "About..." buttons don't do anything (latest OSX 10.10 here).

Theodore Morin

Sep 23, 2015, 12:03:12 PM9/23/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Achim, there seems to be an issue with window focus. To get by those issues, click either "Configure..." or "About..." then click the Plover icon in the dock. The program should work normally from now on :)

Achim Siebert

Sep 23, 2015, 2:57:38 PM9/23/15
to Plover
Yes, that works, though the menu is still missing, so it's not possible to use Cmd+Q to quit Plover.
A real showstopper: typing on my qwerty keyboard while this version of Plover is running is a drag - something seems to slow it down majorly. I get frequent beachballs and have to wait a second or more until letters appear. As soon as I quit Plover all is back to normal.

Theodore Morin

Sep 23, 2015, 4:08:17 PM9/23/15
to Plover

Ah, that’s interesting. I didn’t even notice that the menu was missing. Good point. I wonder if it’s my build or if it’s a Plover issue. I’ll do some digging over the next week and figure it out (by building older and older versions until I find out). I’ll leave notes in this GitHub issue

As for the other issue, that does actually sound like a bug and not a bad build (in my opinion), so if I could ask you to, would you be able to get some information and summarize it on a GitHub issue?

I’d be most interested in:

  • Protocol you are using
  • Whether the problem occurs only when the steno machine is connected (or if it also occurs when Plover is looking for a steno machine)
  • While the slow typing is happening, what does activity monitor report?

Achim Siebert

Sep 23, 2015, 4:09:15 PM9/23/15
to Plover
Forget the second paragraph - this seems to also happen with the release build of Plover in text fields in Safari (e.g. here). Maybe not even related to Plover at all.

Theodore Morin

Sep 23, 2015, 4:10:45 PM9/23/15
to plove...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I've had that too. I think it's on JavaScript heavy pages, regardless of the browser.